Vocal mic(s) on a $700 budget

VanAmp

I do local recordings for all types of music hip hop to classic rock and need a new vocal mic that will do well under these conditions.

I was looking at the Shure KSM44 or Rode K2, but also was looking at the option of buying 2 $350 mics that sound different.

I am pretty lost at this point so any help is appreciated.

My pre-amps are either DMP3 or the focusrite's on my 002 rack

What do you have currently? That might help in figuring out which holes to plug.

If you don't already have a Shure SM7B dynamic, that should probably be first on your list for the kind of music you're doing.

The vocal mic that I've used that I like the best is the ADK TC. New it's around $600, but you can find them used for cheaper.

I agree KSM44 is a good choice, not because it's the best vocal mic in the price range, although it's rather good. I like it because it's just a good mic for a lot of things, very versatile. I like AKG C414TLII in that price range as well. I'd rather sing into a B.L.U.E. Dragonfly, but I'd rather have the KSM44 or the C414 for a multi-purpose mic, which can include vocals.-Richie

In your price catagory, the Electro-Voice EV RE20 (or PL20), is reputed to edge out any of these other choices so far, with the SM7 the runner-up,
by a number of professional AE's (like Scott Dorsey).
In terms of sounding good on a variety of voices that is, and it's easier for
inexperienced talent who lack microphone technique and go off-axis (like me!).

But...

When the SM7 works, it REALLY works! :)
(well so does the RE20 too-listen to Stevie Wonder's 70's stuff)

Even the SM57 or 545 series, along with the SM7 rivals expensive condensers for my voice, for example. The nice thing about these garden variety Shure's
is the gain potential of your mic pre becomes less critical vs. the SM7.

You may need to deduct $$ for proper acoustical room treatments BTW.
www.realtraps.com is an excellent place to learn more on that.

Chris

The CAD VSM is a top notch vocal mic, my buddy is using it over his $1300 Lawson mic in the studio and he's been digging the hell out of that Lawson...well 'til now... :)

That Shure KSM stuff is a good choice also. I own a KSM32.

War

Just got home from work........

As for my current "mic locker" contains nothing for vocals (I had a rode NT1000 but sold it recently to a friend who needed badly)

2 Oktava MK-012's
2 Shure SM57's
1 Sennhieser E602

As for acoustical treatments for the room.............its horrible.....and I can't do anything about it......don't ask.......I record for cheap and get good enough results to have happy clients and they understand I am working my a$$ off to get a real studio built.

Really a Dynamic for a versitile vocal mic?

You might be able to score a Gefell M930 (great all-rounder) for that price. Just a thought. $700 is what I paied for (new and factory-direct) when Gefell had their 75th anniversary sale recently.

i am a cheepskate so id squeeze 2 mics out of the $700......

a CAD M9 and a Shure sm7.......

that would make a pretty decent addition to your collection.....

Van, a pair of MicroTraps will make a bigger difference than "which mic" IMHO.

You already have good pro vocal microphones in the SM57 and Oktava.
(as long as the Oktava is up to specs)

The SM57 can be used for uptempo songs to cut through a mix,
and the Oktava (mellower) for ballads, for example.

A good parametric EQ would greatly extend the usefulness of what you have,
along with good mic placement.

It just comes down to engineering ability in the end.
Either of those mics can capture a performance quite well.

If you ever listen to the "3D" mic shootout that Lynn Fuston did,
you'll be surprised how well the SM57 can do vs. $1000+ mics.
(don't need to listen to it personally at this point to know)

Chris

P.S. One more option is the Lomo M1 or M3 head from www.oktava.com

Kenny, only based on reliable testimony :) via AE's like Harvey Gerst.

IIRC he thinks they sound like one of the "old Neumann's" with a ribbonish top.
Having similar taste with Harvey, I'd expect to be impressed with it also.

It took me a LONG time to fully appreciate another one of his favored vocal microphones, the Beyer Soundstar MKII, due to the lack of experience in mic placement. (which is comparable to the SM7 in his and now my estimation)

Chris

I am a bit confused.

I have always just recorded vocals through condensers (I used a SM7 once and it sounded great, but the Vocalist had sort of a "Talking Heads" style) never thought twice about it. I always thought dynamic were more "specialized" vocal mics great for some bad for others. Thats kind of the attitude the people I learned from had anyways, I have never really had the chance to actually compare dynamic vs. condensers on vocals.

So when would I buy a $700 dollar condenser. Would I get one if I had a nice sounding room?

or for vocals is it just not worth the cash unless your buying a vintage tube or $3000+ condenser?

I think I might get a SM7 and call it a day

For $700 you could get an SM7 and a RODE NTK. You could cover a lot of ground with thlse two mics.

Blessings, Terry

Rather than being "specialized", a key to getting great sound from them is to be willing to EQ them into submission, or so has been said by those wiser than yours truly.

If you think about it logically, why would you prefer a more sensitive mic (condenser) that'll pick up negative ambience in that room vs. a good dynamic?

Standing waves and flutter echoes can seriously degrade the sound quality.
You will lose some transient detail, but you're not planning on recording a
symphonic orchestra or Pavarotti, so what the heck? :)

Chris

chessparov said:
Rather than being "specialized", a key to getting great sound from them is to be willing to EQ them into submission, or so has been said by those wiser than yours truly.

If you think about it logically, why would you prefer a more sensitive mic (condenser) that'll pick up negative ambience in that room vs. a good dynamic?

Standing waves and flutter echoes can seriously degrade the sound quality.
You will lose some transient detail, but you're not planning on recording a
symphonic orchestra or Pavarotti, so what the heck? :)

Chris

Thinking more about it a Dynamic makes sense in my situation. Feels weird doing something new for a change.

Another kind of off topic questions.......Do clients care if they are singing into a rather ugly looking SM7? (sorry but they are ugly)

Back