Vocal Mic Placement

Mr. Blue

I am trying to record vocals and want to know what the best way to setup the mic, relative to the singer.

Angled? Straight on? Upside down? High? Low?

Thanks for the help,
~JC

MXL 4000 Condenser Microphone

I'm not sure about the different patterns, I just have it set on the stock settings right now. Don't really know how/why I would use the figure 8 or other patterns...

MXL 4000 Condenser Microphone

I'm not sure about the different patterns, I just have it set on the stock settings right now. Don't really know how/why I would use the figure 8 or other patterns...

Gee, sounds like maybe we need a sticky thread over in the mic forum explaining that stuff. Maybe call it:

"How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?"

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

One of the more important considerations is to use a setup that's comfortable for the vocalist and plays to their best singing posture. Don't make them have to strain their neck or their posture either up or down just to suit the mic.

Also keep in mind that often the mic is hanging from above not to look cool or because it sounds better, but simply because it gives the vocalist an unobstructed view of the music stand in front of them that is holding the song lyrics or lead sheets that they are working off of.

And don't forget the pop filter ;).

G.

Gee, sounds like maybe we need a sticky thread over in the mic forum explaining that stuff. Maybe call it:

"How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?"

Just a thought. :rolleyes:
Yea, I read through the first 7 pages of that tread but was still confused. There were so many people asking questions is just seemed cluttered. All I really care about is the vocals and the 'recording techniques' used to capture them.

I guess I'm just looking for a few suggestions on mic placement. The thread where you rained down all of your knowledge was a huge help, but I'm still a little in the dark on this subject :o

Like your suggestion on the 110 degree placement, do you usually have the vocalist sing down into the mic, or how exactly do you set that up? I think that is what I want to do (I want to pick up more of the lower end of the singers voice).

The lower portion of the vocalist's tone is controlled by the proximity effect of the microphone; close for more bass, further away for less bass. Recording into the front of the mic, while slightly off axis, can reduce a bright peak in the mic's response. There are so many factors at work, a simple answer just doesn't do it.

If you won't read the big thread, then I suggest you experiment, and keep track of what happens when you change something.

The lower portion of the vocalist's tone is controlled by the proximity effect of the microphone; close for more bass, further away for less bass. Recording into the front of the mic, while slightly off axis, can reduce a bright peak in the mic's response. There are so many factors at work, a simple answer just doesn't do it.

If you won't read the big thread, then I suggest you experiment, and keep track of what happens when you change something.
So are you talking off axis like sideways, or up and down? I have been messing with it a little and I think I want get more of the lower end of the voice. So I guess I should try recording closer to the mic, then just use the compressor to fix the fluxuations in volume? Also, there is a switch with a line on one side and a 'slanted line' (It's straight, then slants. maybe to a 110 degree angle) on the other side. I have it set to the straight line, but I don't really know what it is used for...

Also, I did read a lot of that thread you posted in...I stopped reading when it turned to recording exotic instruments and stuff because I am only interested in vocals right now. I really did learn a lot from that thread, but still have questions.

Last edited:
Straight line is the "flat" setting; bent line is the "bass roll off" setting to counteract proximity effect and prevent popping. Up, or down, or to the side are all pretty much the same sound. It will reduce popping a bit, still give you proximity effect, and might help in taming a mic's sharp peak in the treble range. Having the mic at eye or forehead level will also reduce popping.

Straight line is the "flat" setting; bent line is the "bass roll off" setting to counteract proximity effect and prevent popping. Up, or down, or to the side are all pretty much the same sound. It will reduce popping a bit, still give you proximity effect, and might help in taming a mic's sharp peak in the treble range. Having the mic at eye or forehead level will also reduce popping.
Ok, so I want to leave the setting on the straight line. I will try some more testing with the angles, I think that is something that I need to do to get more of the lower end of the voice. Right now, I have only really recorded with the mic straight up. But, since you said angling the mic won't affect the proximity effect, that may be the best way for me to go.

Thanks for all of your help Harvey!

Back