Vocal Mic, out with the old, in with the new.

drummerdude666

immature
Hey,

I'm running a small project studio recording mostly young rock bands. Some are screamo, others are indie, and i seem to get a lot of emo :rolleyes:

At the moment im using an MXL 992 for all my vocals as its my only large condenser mic - occasionally i reach for my sm57 for some of the screamo stuff.

I'm about to sell my MXL 992 to a friend, and im going to upgrade :)

My question is.. what shall i buy?

I've been looking at a Studio Projects T3, also the Apex 205 Ribbon (same mic as the Shinybox 23 and the Nady RSM-2). As for cost... well i have £140 ($250) straight off, but i have and extra £300 ($525) to spend on the studio, so the less of that spent the better - so it can be put to other use improving the studio. So i guess im looking to spend about £250($440)-ish.. but this figure can change if needs be. ;)

My mic list at the moment is:

SM57 *4*
SM58
PG58
Oktava MC-12 *2*
e602
e604 *3*

...also a set of Nady drum mics, none of which i use anymore.

The mic can be bought solely for vocals, but as with any mic - if it has any other uses - great!

There are sooo many choices it's not even funny. My recommendation is you go try them out. You won't be able to tell anything about a mic unless you try it. Also, I like having variety. I have three different LDC's that I use in various situations for various voices. I love my NTK on male vocals, but sometimes I like my 4040 better for females - it's clearer in my opinion and I like that for girls. I just got an M179 and I'm looking forward to trying it out on different people...

Jacob

Unfortunaly i can't try any of the mics out. In the Uk there aren't many companies selling audio gear, and those that do are mostly internet based.

The main ones are Digital Village, Turnkey and KMR Audio - and all of these have no stores anywhere near me, the closest is about a 3 hour drive - and the display stock is horribly poor, Not set up for testing anything out at all.

So all i have to go on is sound clips, reviews and peoples opinion which is why i value this forum so much :)

Some suggestions

I just re-read a review of the sE Electronics SE2200A($299 US) in the July/August '05 Tape Op Magazine (page 60) on the SE2200A where the writer started out stating that the SE2200A is a fantastic-sounding LDC. The writer went on to share that the mic was very smooth sounding, had a nice mid-range plus the mic worked well with one singer whose vocal styles include whispering, talking, singing and screaming and the mic was able to deal with screamers ie the mic did not get overly sibilant. The writer mentioned quite a few other reasons why he liked it including it working well on his upright Yamaha piano, worked well as a kick-drum mic and was his go to for a center mic when tracking acoustic guitar.
(Of course, I have shared in this forum and others that I was provided an opportunity to A/B my SE2200A with a 1970's Neumann U87 and we found that the sonic characteristics of the SE2200A were amazingly similar to the U87!)

The CAD M9 Tube Mic ($299 US) was positively reviewed in Sound on Sound Magazine with comments stating the it's warmth was very flattering to the majority of sources especially acoustic guitar and other stringed instuments and most voices. The writer said that the M9 had a middle ground sound character that worked very nicely in most situations and it was slightly cleaner sounding than most tube mics likely due to its hydrid servo-valve circuity. The summation comments focused on the fact that it had a wide frquency response, good technical specs and a shockingly low price based on how well it performed.

There is a nice review of the MXL V6 ($299 US) in the Nov/Dec '05 Tape Op Magazine saying among other things that this could easily be the best solid state mic the writer ever used on acoustic guitar, it worked very well on male vocals and it had the mid-range of the RODE NT2 but with a crisper but not overly sibilant high-end.

BG/HSG

The SE2200A was initially my choice when i started thinking about new mics last week - but decided it would be better to spend more as the money is there and really get a stunner. It has a good UK price of £130 also. I might re-think this mic then if you reccomend it.

The CAD M9 has a stupidly high UK price! £399!!! ($698!!!) It's crazy. So at that price, i'd rather get something else.

Also... as much as i love Sound On Sound, i dont think i've ever read a BAD review ;)

MXL V6 - the only thing im worried about is that it'll be very similar to the MXL 992 im about to sell, not that thats a bad thing, it's just i'd like to try and use something a bit diffrent.

But thankyou so much for you detailed reply homestudioguy. It's really appriciated :)

Any other thoughts?

Groove Tubes mics have really been impressing me lately. Making me kick myself for buying the Baby Bottle. Both the gt66 and gt57 are freakin great on vox. Way better than my baby bottle. The vocals really sit in the mix much nicer than with my baby bottle.

jonnyc said:
Groove Tubes mics have really been impressing me lately. Making me kick myself for buying the Baby Bottle. Both the gt66 and gt57 are freakin great on vox. Way better than my baby bottle. The vocals really sit in the mix much nicer than with my baby bottle.
I have gt55 which I consider to be excellent for vocals, sax. It has nice warmth, not too bright but with some nice lows. Underated mic IMO.

drummerdude666 said:
The SE2200A was initially my choice when I started thinking about new mics last week - but decided it would be better to spend more as the money is there and really get a stunner. It has a good UK price of £130 also. I might re-think this mic then if you recommend it.
But thank you so much for you detailed reply homestudioguy. It's really appriciated :) Any other thoughts?
Maybe the SE2200-A and a Grace 101 preamp?
Maybe a SE2200-A and a Focusrite TwinTrak Pro?
How about the SE2200-A and a Focusrite Voice Master Pro?
Maybe a Z3300A? Selling here for $499
http://www.seelectronics.com/Z3300a.html
The sE ICIS Tube is selling here $649.
BG/HSG

Bit of a SE fanboy are we homestudioguy? :p

Looks like its going to be an eeny-meeny-miny-mo decision. Or whatever comes up on eBay cheap first :D

Any other final recomendations?

There's a used groove tubes on ebay I think its a UK item also so that may be helpful. I'm really diggin mine.

Guilty as charged!

drummerdude666 said:
Bit of a SE fanboy are we homestudioguy? :p
Looks like its going to be an eeny-meeny-miny-mo decision.
Or whatever comes up on eBay cheap first :D
Any other final recomendations?
I have been known to be an sE fan :D and I've taken my licks on here because of it. :(
I recommend them to you as it appears that you are able to pick them up for a lot less $$ than we can over here.
Be that as it may, I just received my CAD M9 tube mic this afternoon and have already run it through my Focusrite Trakmaster Pro as well as adding some Lexicon Chorus/Reverb and other effects just for fun. The mic is very nice for $299 US.
Based on your mic list it appears that a Large Diaphragm Condensor of some sort is clearly in order.
A RODE K2 might be nice if thats in your price range.MMMMMMM! :cool:
They are supposed to be very versatile and I believe recommended by a George Massenburg!
The RODE NT2A is supposed to be a nice mic as well.
Award winning and all..
I used to have a RODE NT-2 and like a dummy, I sold it. :(
It was a damn good mic and I see them on ebay regularly.
The RODE NTK is well liked on this forum and I believe "Big Kenny" changed out the stock tube to a Mullard which, he said, positively reduced the NTK sibilance factor.
Good Luck in whatever you choose. :D
BG/HSG

BG/HSG

Back