Vocal mic for our singer (clips inside)

playit

Hi,

I'm looking for a sub-$500 mic for demo recording with our singer. He has a weaker output than a lot of singers and his voice is in a range where it fights with other things in the mix.

Here are the clips of our last demo: http://www.purevolume.com/otisburg

What would be a great mic for him? I have some stuff done with him on a Rode NTK and it was a marked improvement over the tracks above but I felt like it could still have been better. If it can't for $500, then I'll get the NTK.

Thanks for your suggestions. This board is awesome.

Your singer has a weak output and a problem with fitting in the mix because he is rather nasal. A few voice lessons will help him get his voice down in his chest, and then I suspect the Rode or any similar mic should work fine.

playit said:
He has a weaker output than a lot of singers and his voice is in a range where it fights with other things in the mix.

In short he can't sing! ;)

Actually your vocalist has a good voice... but lack the skills if he wants to consider himself a serious vocalist.

And there's no mic can subsitute the lack of skills. For your type of music, a good vocalist with a SM57 would be enough! :)

An old saying from China "One should improve one's skill before improving on gears" :)

well why i may not be a recording expert i have to say that think the problem is more the singer and not the mic (i do however know singing very well).....so while i am sure you dont want to hear this ....he needs to work on his support and even following through with his phrases....this is more a breathing issue then anything. to be honest even the back ground singers dont sound tight on their harmonies either.....more articulation needs to be matched as well as a tightening of blend also....

There's a saying in auto racing . . . it's better to spend money on driving school than suspension or brakes, because the mods will only make one car faster, but the driving school will make every car you ever drive faster.

Just so it is clear what singer we are talking about (because there are two in those clips):

He doesn't sing the first part of Star Map or the choruses, but sings the verses. He sings all of Friends and Ends, and he doesn't sing on any of the song "Hey Jennifer."

Sorry if there is any confusion. The other guy was our old bassist who isn't with the band any more.

garuentee they're all comenting on whoever they heard first man.

edit: purevolume makes it impossible to judge quality. you can't hear if it's sibilant really, 'cause the quality makes the high end suuuuck. if you want him to sound intense, make him sing it intense... don't look for a mic or a plug in or any of that crap to fix a lack luster performance. sorry. any streaming audio is WORTHLESS for judging quality.

He definitely needs some training he suffers from hard glottal attack that causes him to choke up on relatively low notes, I'd be surprised if he can survive two gigs in a row or an intensive recording session without a weeks vocal rest.

Back