Vocal mic but short on $$

emergencyexit

I have a small home studio and my plans on upgrading include a couple things, but the biggest one is to get an actuall large diaphram condenser for vocals rather than using both my 57 and my mxl 603s. I already have to upgrade in getting an other soundcard for more recordable tracks, but can anyone recomend a cheap mic for me. I have little to no cash. Oh yeah and how bad is the MXL 990 because thats pretty cheap.

Thanks guys,

Ben

Save a few more bucks and get a Cad M179.
Then you will have a multy pattern mic.
Or if a guitar center is close by see if they have any oktava tube mics or a mk-319.

I actually think that the 990 is really nice. For the money, geez-us! But don't get the multipack. Get the 990 and shockmount. I put it up against my KSM32. KSM32 won, but not by 400 dollars.

Since you already have 603s for acoustic and a 57 I would suggest an MXL V69 tube mic. About $300.00
It's nice on vocals and amps, etc.
It's sound is nicely colored by the tube, and not real bright or hyped in the mids like a lot of the Chinese mics.

Or for an even cheaper MXL, try the V67G. I've used it on 4 different vocalists and it has sounded great on each one.

Studio Projects B1, it's a total workhorse of a mic. You'll get a LOT of mileage out f it for the price

Shure SM58. You would be surprised how many records are done with them. Bono from U2 uses them as the lead vox mic on almost every record they have done in the last 20 years. Also have your tried your SM57 on vox yet? They are surprisingly good on many vocals.

The Shure KSM32 is also an amazing mic for a reasonable amount of money. I consider it in the same league as many mics costing 10 times as much.

I've just got a Studio Projects T3 valve for about $300, waiting for it to arrive, the multi-pattern should give flexibility also the tube is subtle so it can be tried with a number of different applications without overpowering anything, I would always say aim as high as you can then do some haggling if budget is tight (like mine)!

The Foal

As the voice in the wilderness let me promote the Shure SM7B. Not a large condensor, but damn it sounds great. Needs a decent preamp however.

dudge said:
Since you already have 603s for acoustic and a 57 I would suggest an MXL V69 tube mic. About $300.00
It's nice on vocals and amps, etc.
It's sound is nicely colored by the tube, and not real bright or hyped in the mids like a lot of the Chinese mics.

Does the MXL v69 sound good on acoustic gtrs...or as a room mic?
and does anyone have anything to say about the Groove Tube condensors---also very cheap and seem to have a good rep....

Back