Vocal EQ Help

musicturtle

Wrote and recorded this song for my mom's birthday so it's a bit tamer and simpler than most I listen to here. This is basically my second project with this set up. Any tips on mix and vocal eq would be appreciated. Thanks

On the vocal, I'd start in the 2200hz - 2900hz range. The vocal has a frequency in that range that's a bit pointy. I would start with a very deep (like -10db) but very narrow cut. I'd sweep through that range. Somewhere in there, it will make the vocal sound a little muffled. When you found that frequency, take that -10db cut and raise the volume so it's a -3 or -4 cut. See what that sounds like. I'm thinking that might help.

Then I'd look at the low midrange, because the vocal is a little thin. I might look at the 350hz - 700hz octave. I'd just go through there with a gentle 2-3 db boost of moderate width. See if you think it makes it sound nicer.

After that, you may need some extra clarity. You'll have to listen and see. If you think you need some more clarity, give the 5000hz range a gentle 2-3 db boost of moderate width.

These are just general guidelines. Your numbers will probably vary.

On the vocal, I'd start in the 2200hz - 2900hz range. The vocal has a frequency in that range that's a bit pointy. I would start with a very deep (like -10db) but very narrow cut. I'd sweep through that range. Somewhere in there, it will make the vocal sound a little muffled. When you found that frequency, take that -10db cut and raise the volume so it's a -3 or -4 cut. See what that sounds like. I'm thinking that might help.

Then I'd look at the low midrange, because the vocal is a little thin. I might look at the 350hz - 700hz octave. I'd just go through there with a gentle 2-3 db boost of moderate width. See if you think it makes it sound nicer.

After that, you may need some extra clarity. You'll have to listen and see. If you think you need some more clarity, give the 5000hz range a gentle 2-3 db boost of moderate width.

These are just general guidelines. Your numbers will probably vary.

Thanks for the input, I will give it a go.

I like the way the vocal sounds! Sounds like you rolled off some low end already? And the high end sounds pretty natural to me. I'm guessing that's your natural room sound coming through? I would try to cut some of that out in the recording process or if it's a verb, lessen it a bit. If I were mixing I would have brought up the musical elements up just a bit to blend with the vocal but that is just a personal preference. Good tune man.

Back