Vocal Effects??????

Sirflex10

If you haven't read any of my other post..than yuor not aware that I'm an idiot noob beginner (o.k. now that that's out of the way) Are there any websites that give tutorials on different effects that you can place on vocals..ex: stacking voice to make it sound fuller, when & what should i pan , how and when to use reverb, chorus, etc. Please if anyone knows any good tips or tutorials let me know, I'm mainly creating hip hop, funk, r&b, type music via cakewalk. Thanks a trillion

I'm not sure of any tutorials but one of the best ways to learn is to double or triple track your vocal and try a few things out.
Experiment with slight panning, wide panning, try different types of delay, chorus etc.

As far as when to pan and when to use reverb etc. I will tell you the Golden Rule of recording: "WHATEVER SOUNDS GOOD!" Let your ears be your guide and train your ears to know what is good and what is not. The only way to do this is to experiment.

I don't know if you are recording digitally(via computer), but if you are you can experiment to your hearts delight without changing a single thing in your file.

In a nutshell: duplicating your vocals will make them louder and sound fuller, but it still has to be a good vocal to begin with. If you think the vocal volume is too weak doubletrack it, see if that does the trick. If not triple it.

Reverb - Probably the most overused vocal effect, and with good reason. Don't drench your vocals in reverb though. Nobody wants to hear a vocalist singing in a cave for 3 + minutes. Play with the controls and start out light with different decay times, etc.

Panning - can be used for effect, but 98.6% of the time your vocals should be dead center. The center range grounds the song. Instruments should be panned depending on your ears.

If you have a rhythm groove going 50% to the left, you might want to put a syncopation beat or a lead lick 50% to the right right. Don't throw all rhythms on one side and all leads on the other. Mix up your highs and lows.

Basic rule of thumb:
Vocals and bassline dead center.
Everything else is up for grabs.

My .02 cents.

Good Luck.

Thanks, another question..

You guys are great!!! Thanks for all the help..(and for not newbie bashing me..lol) Let me ask you one more question and then I'm going home to play with all the new info...what effects are normally used for vocals? Ex: Reverb, Chorus, Tremelo,etc. Or is it just anything that sounds good? Thanks a trillion!

Re: Thanks, another question..

Sirflex10 said:
You guys are great!!! Thanks for all the help..(and for not newbie bashing me..lol) Let me ask you one more question and then I'm going home to play with all the new info...what effects are normally used for vocals? Ex: Reverb, Chorus, Tremelo,etc. Or is it just anything that sounds good? Thanks a trillion!
Whatever sounds good is probably the right answer.

Here's my suggestions for starters though:

Reverb (of course), but be gentle with it. Most newbies go a bit overboard

Delay

Chorus (only on BG Vox for me. I don't think I would use it on a lead.)

And not really under the heading of effects, but:

EQ and Compression (but only as much and where needed)

Autotune :)

I doubt I would use anything like tremelo on a vocal, but YMMV.

Re: Re: Thanks, another question..

dachay2tnr said:
Reverb (of course), but be gentle with it. Most newbies go a bit overboard

EXACTLY. I went to a collaborative site recently and listened to their projects. Almost all had far too much reverb. It actually sounded ridiculously. And that's the opinion of someone who himself tends to put too much reverb on his own vocals when comparing to professional recordings. I guess these collaborative guys transferred the "can't help singing in the bathroom because I can hear my own voice better" to their projects.

I think it's very eays to overuse reverb as a beginner because you're thinking: "Hey a little reverb sounds great, that means alot reverb makes it sound excellent".

If you want a rough vocal track you could even use a slight distortion or overdrive (haven't tried the latter).

Just a suggestion,

Porter

Porter said:
If you want a rough vocal track you could even use a slight distortion or overdrive (haven't tried the latter).

Porter

If you want a rough vocal track you could try talking through this throat this morning after that night last night...... Pass the aspirin.

Or try iZotope's Trash.

:) Q.

End OT Mode

Effects

What about specific effects..ex: I ran across a sound foundry tutorial that showed you hwo to make "specific" effects like the doppler effect , a evil voice sound , a effect that sounds like your talking over a phone, etc. Are there any tutorials or websiets that show you how to create these type of effects? Or is it a trial and error thing? Thanks.

Re: Effects

Sirflex10 said:
What about specific effects..ex: I ran across a sound foundry tutorial that showed you hwo to make "specific" effects like the doppler effect , a evil voice sound , a effect that sounds like your talking over a phone, etc. Are there any tutorials or websiets that show you how to create these type of effects? Or is it a trial and error thing? Thanks.

EQ mag had a good article on distorting vocals and cleaning them up.. An online database would serve even better.

Seriously - empty that studiocovers.com web archive while it's still there.

Priceless information.

Q.

I believe there was an alternate site that you could still access Studio Covers (or an archive of it or something).

I see if I can locate the URL. I was there just a week or so ago.

dachay2tnr said:
I believe there was an alternate site that you could still access Studio Covers (or an archive of it or something).

I see if I can locate the URL. I was there just a week or so ago.
< slaps forehead > How stupid am I? The place where I saw the alternate Studio Covers site was right in this thread. :rolleyes:

Thanks for reminding me Alanfc and thanks for the link mbuster.

First, you need to clean up the bass frequencies on your entire mix.
The only instruments that should be occupying the frequencies below 100 hz are your bass and bass drums.

So apply a high-pass filter at 100 hz to your guitars and vocals. Maybe even 150 on your vocals. That usually crisps the vox right up.

Doubling kicks ass. Check out any Judas Priest, Beatles or Elliot Smith tune. Sounds great to me. Some people prefer a single voice.

Experiment with compression after you apply the filter. You might find you don't need it.

As for reverb and delay, I like to use envelopes on them. Varying the degree of Verb on a vocal at different key times can really enhance the emotion and dynamics throughout the course of a song. And when it comes to delay, set the repeat in synch with the rhythm of the track.

Just a few kickass tips I learned over the past few months.

Very Best,
Jeff
http://www.mountainmirrors.com

Back