Vocal Effects via Digital Interface/iPad AUM

derekp

I've been performing live with my iPad/midi controller and an app called AUM which is basically a mixer where I control all my instruments, loops, etc. I just bought a Nektar Pacer to have even more control over instruments and effects, and the next step or leap I want to take is to have the ability to pass and bypass vocal effects with the stomp of a footswitch on the Nektar. Would it be feasible to do this by running the mic through a digital interface with a mic input (which is also hooked up to the iPad)? The thing that worries me most is the fact that I run my sound basically from the headphone input which goes out to the mixer, so essentially everything is running through one channel. Yes I obviously have input level control on the interface...thoughts?

I've been performing live with my iPad/midi controller and an app called AUM which is basically a mixer where I control all my instruments, loops, etc. I just bought a Nektar Pacer to have even more control over instruments and effects, and the next step or leap I want to take is to have the ability to pass and bypass vocal effects with the stomp of a footswitch on the Nektar. Would it be feasible to do this by running the mic through a digital interface with a mic input (which is also hooked up to the iPad)? The thing that worries me most is the fact that I run my sound basically from the headphone input which goes out to the mixer, so essentially everything is running through one channel. Yes I obviously have input level control on the interface...thoughts?

You already have the gear and the app, what have you tried to get working? Seems to me it is all going to come down to what apps will allow you to map midi. I know I can map controls on my Akai to SampleTank simply by pressing the midi icon and pushing and holding the control I want to map and engaging the control on the Akai.

Don't know what apps you have but it wouldn't be helpful anyway, as most of us wouldn't know. Plug it in and start mashing buttons.

You already have the gear and the app, what have you tried to get working? Seems to me it is all going to come down to what apps will allow you to map midi. I know I can map controls on my Akai to SampleTank simply by pressing the midi icon and pushing and holding the control I want to map and engaging the control on the Akai.

Don't know what apps you have but it wouldn't be helpful anyway, as most of us wouldn't know. Plug it in and start mashing buttons.
Yeah, I've been able to get it to work. It can be as simple as plugging the mic into the interface, and linking a footswitch to say, a reverb node in AUM, I just wonder whether it's a better idea to get a dedicated pedal so that it's merely an intermediary between the mic and the PA run by the soundperson.

Back