Vocal effects Q's

ignition451

Hello everyone. I'm kinda new to PC recording, and with the tips I've learned on this board I'm quite happy with the results.You guys are very helpful.

But to my question...

I'm using Cool edit pro to record and the music is sounding pretty good and I'm ready to do vocals, But I want to use real time effects like compression,reverb,delay etc. I'm on a tight budget and was looking into a digitech 300 vocal effects processor to get the job done. But can I run Phantom Power to it for my condensor mic? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mic----->Pedal----->Mixer---->PC

Welcome to the Forum,
Digitech 300 vocal effects processor is a good unit basically for live performances, so I am not sure if they have phantom for condenser mics. Another important specs you need to know is that it can only go upto 44.1Khz sample rate, so if you want to go any further you can't use it. Since you are in a tight budget, my suggestion is to get a preamp for your mic and use the cooledit effets in your tracks, CEP plugins and effects are as good as the regular hardware effects systems, so try them first and then go for teh big stuff. good Luck!

Thanks for the input. I'm currently using a Yamaha MG12/4 mixer for my preamp and it supplies phantom power. Cool edit pro does offer some good effects but I kinda need effects during the recording process (for instance some compression during the recording).

So do you think I can use the phantom power from my mixer into the digitech 300?

Sorry if I'm beatin a dead horse here.

Yo Sparks 451:

You might want to consider this if you need compression.

Run your mic from your board into an RNC [175 pezzutos @ Humbuckler & no shipping.] I'm assuming you have Phantom power on the board if the mic needs it.

This set up is what I'm planning to do. But, I'll run my mic into a Grace 101 [which has PP] and then into the RNC and then into my 2816. From all conversations with my recording colleagues, they think this will be a good set up to control vocals and drums and whatever else I want to run that way.

Of course, if you have a compressor, use it the same way.

Happy New Year
Green Hornet:D :p :cool:

Thanks man that's a cool idea, I'll look into that. Happy new year to you to dude.

Anymore suggestions would be appreciated.

vocal effects experiments

cool edit has a lot of good effects. bUT also try these tips.
for thickness of a vocal , duplicate the track then offset the duplicate from the original by a few milliseconds. you will have to experiment as its realated to the song. but as you offset you will hear different subtle effects. then put subtle cool reverb or echo on the duplicate adjusting for song tempo. use the original plus duplicate vocal track volume sliders to determine how much fx the song calls for. if you use compression try milder settings.
also some poorer sound cards cutting eq in the upper mids works
as does for some sibilant mics. watch the low low end where a lot of junk exists and try subtle rooll offs/cuts below 120 hz.
give the kick drum some breathing space if you are using drums.

cool idea, I'll experiment around with it. I also heard that it is good idea to record vocals in mono. Anyone else agree or disagree?

YES MONO

also try singing your vocals TWICE.
the little differences and nuances can sound pleasing if done properly. other techniques are stacking vocals. like in song choruses.
singing one vocal an octave or a third or fifth above or below the original.
having vocals dynamically panned at points swirling in and out.
etc etc also stacked vocal choruses panned left and right with different techniques can be pleasing depending if done right.

Yeah I usually double my vocals on the Chorus. Thanks Manning you gave me some real good tips and advice. Hopefully I can get this vocal thing worked out:)

Back