Vocal Editing-basics NEED HELP!

midwesttribune

editing prog.= I USE PROTOOLS LE 6.7 mbox
a yawl im currently workin ona rap project an I record down the basic vocal on a mono track and use a compressor so when I get too loud it brings me down and so-forth, also I make mulitple track adlibs an such for the end of lines, for effect. But the majority of the time it just sounds like im recordin over a beat an not in the mix well, and that my voice appears to plain as far as no added effects, tweaks ect. Although in the editing process other people do with protools there are a few basic plugins that are typical for vocal editing succsess. Can anyone involved in anytype of vocal editing (singer, rapper, any) gimme some techniques/tricks/ect. an if you mention a plugin describe what you do and adjust within the plugin an what it does, thanks alot.

like explain in detail what levels you tweak with the eq and reverb? b.c im aware those are there but dont know how to use them, what the really end up doin ect. thanks

200px-Sailing_Vessel_Odyssey.jpg

A yawl.

G.

midwest,

I think you should eq the vocal. Adjust your hi's, mid's, low's to a point that it sounds more of a natural sound and a little crisp. I would then put a reverb or a delay. On those effects, watch for your global slider or the wet mix slider. move those around or better, mess with the effects plugin to see what you may like. But one thing, just add a little, not a whole lot, cause it will start to sound cheap or fake. hope that works.

I'll use the cutting tool to separate my mono wav file into several little files. I'll adjust the volumes of each individually, and add a compressor on. I'll play around with the ratio and threshold to get a good sound. sometimes I'll add reverb if necessary to soften the sound and help it lay in the mix. sometimes for effect, a little delay or something can't hurt..

one,
LP
www.lostpoet.com

Back