Vocal Editing-basics NEED HELP!

midwesttribune

a yawl im currently workin ona rap project an I record down the basic vocal on a mono track and use a compressor so when I get too loud it brings me down and so-forth, also I make mulitple track adlibs an such for the end of lines, for effect. But the majority of the time it just sounds like im recordin over a beat an not in the mix well, and that my voice appears to plain as far as no added effects, tweaks ect. Although in the editing process other people do with protools there are a few basic plugins that are typical for vocal editing succsess. Can anyone involved in anytype of vocal editing (singer, rapper, any) gimme some techniques/tricks/ect. an if you mention a plugin describe what you do and adjust within the plugin an what it does, thanks alot.

Just a thought

I use Izotope (OZone)! I rap to, and that happened to me to, mainly cause i had no control over the beats levels ( I bootlegged instrumentals, and now I produce my own music)!! All I can say is to play with the levels, because a plugin can only take you so far!!!!!! Peace Novellus

Might want to try this question out in the "recording techniques" area. There are so many factors and this doesn't relate to just Pro Tools but more to basic recording techniques.

Part of it is the volume level of the fader, proper compression, and eq's. Because sometime you have 2 eq the vocal to make it "fit in" with the beat, because if the beat has a lot of bass in it and the person has a very high pitched voice then you have 2 add some eq to make the vocal tone match a little by adding some low's (eq)

Back