Vocal Dilemma - SOL

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
So.. I moved from my house into an apartment and I have neighbors in all directions. I don't think the walls are too thin, haven't heard any talking, just footsteps and pipes and stuff, but I'm sure they are not sound proof so I think I am stuck and no longer able to record vocals any more. I don't have room to build a vocal booth.

I can't be in here belting out punk rock ditties so I guess I am going to have to go instrumental, or maybe spoken word?

:facepalm: :( :cursing:

Or hook up with other punkers and record at their house.

This is what I am working on now :)

I think I am moving into more groove-based rock type stuff now... Like Zepplin meets Sabbath meets Smashing Pumpkins meets The Black Keys meets i dunno wtf... :o

Other than the recording issue I am pretty happy being in an Apartment after doing home maintenance for the past 20 years :)

Just sing - who gives a fuck what the neighbors think?

Well... its a small building, only 9 units and most of the tenants have been here for 10+ years, so if I am making a lot of racket they would probably evict me and I want to be a good neighbor (and probably want to live here for a long long time as its pretty sweet and I hate moving) so I want to stay on good terms with my neighbors

You'll never soundproof it, but singing into rockwool baffles can really help to cut down transfer.

I've considered something like this, like a small portable mic box - maybe I could make a box that I wore on my head with a mic hole in it :p

but I might feel silly doing that...

Just sing - who gives a fuck what the neighbors think?
Yeah, who gives a Daisy Fluck what those elderly folk who'd like a bit of quiet at that particular time or the toddlers' parents whose kids are meant to be or are napping or the slightly unbalanced psyco in waiting with the fully loaded gun think ? Stuff them !
I'm sure they'll miss you when you've been evicted or hospitalized ! :D

BUT SErioSLy FOlks !
Have a word with them and try to find the best times to warble and wail. They might not actually hear you if they're watching TV or listening to their music or on the phone or out.......in another continent ! :D

Back