vocal compressors 200 and under

Altaire

anybody have any suggestions on a decent vocal compressor for under 200 dollars? or is that not happening

Yo Altaire: :D

Second B.K.'s choice of the RNC. Great box for 175 pezzutos. [That's the going price last time I looked.

This box has a button to push for a very good compression setting that works for vocals OR you can twiddle the dials.

You can spend more, much more; however, I'll stick with the RNC.

Green Hornet :D ;) :D

Really-Nice-Compressor

I got a used DBX 160 off of re-Bay for about $180 to my door....

Nice compressor there. I've used it for other stuff too.

I use a Alesis 3630 when I need compression. I don't particularly care for it, but it's all that I have. It is quite noisy, or much nosier than I think it should be.

How does the RNC perform with regards to noise? The Alesis 3630 that I have adds 10db or so at 0 db gain.

I haven't had any problems with the RNC with noise, and I doubt I will. Honestly, those 3630's are crap, and the RNC would be a great upgrade.

The Green Hornet said:
This box has a button to push for a very good compression setting that works for vocals OR you can twiddle the dials.

The "button" doesn't adjust any parameters. It turns on a serial-cascade of 3 compressors to eliminate noise and artifact. The parameters still need to be set accordingly.

Last edited:
:D Yo Aaron:

I usually leave the dials straight up when I push the "super nice" button--I do adjust the gain to suit my needs.

Should I be twiddling any particular dial in addition to the super nice?

Thanks,
Happy Thanksgiving

Green Hornet :D

I have an RNC, a Bellari RP282a, a compellor, a dbx 166xl, and a presonus bluemax. My vote = bluemax. I use the "vocal 3" setting on the way in and while mixing. done it that way for probably 7 years. for my voice at least, which needs a lot of compression, it can't be beat. The RNC would be my #2.

The Green Hornet said:

I usually leave the dials straight up when I push the "super nice" button--I do adjust the gain to suit my needs.

Should I be twiddling any particular dial in addition to the super nice?

Thanks,
Happy Thanksgiving

Green Hornet :D

Well, I would at least be adjusting the threshold (unless you don't have any wild peaks whatsoever) and makeup gain. I actually follow the manual's advice about adjustments and it yields good results. Basically they rank the order of further adjustments if you need more compression: attack -> ratio -> release.

Thanks for the succinct information.

I find that if I use my synth, Motiff ES, I don't need to mess with much when mixing. The sounds on that board are very well done, most of them that is.

Vocals would be where I use my RNC. Sometimes I run the mic from the mic pre right into the RNC--usually I don't have to do much when mixing it down, except, of course, a touch of reverb.

Thanks again for the info.

Green Hornet

the rnc sounds like a winner then. Doing the vocals in post isnt getting the job done. I dont know if AA's compression just sucks orI dont know how to set it right, but...

Back