Vocal Compression

jtlaurie

I have a Fostex VF08 and I am trying to find the best way to record vocals. I bought a new condensor mike and it sounds pretty good but how can I compress my vocals to have the same volume level and tone throughout the whole songs. Like most engineers do in real recordings.

Josh Laurie

Ah, to compress, or not to compress? That is the question. I confess, I'm not familiar with your Fostex, but compression may be an available effect, but is likely to be of so-so quality. Most people, I think, would recommend an outbard compressor. It's pretty much the RNC (really nice compressor) about $165-$175.
Look in the manual of the Fostex under outboard or external effects.
The bigger question is whether to use compression while tracking or do it later, at or before mixdown. The only simple answer is to use compression when you need to, to control the dynamics.
Compression is controlled by 4 parameters- Attack (how fast the compressor reacts), Release (how long the effect lasts)
Threshld (controls at what dB level compression kicks in), and ratio. Ratio is critical. At 3:1, for every 3 decibels above the threshold, you get 1 dB of gain.
Just get a compressor and play around with the parameters and listen, and watch the indicators. Beware!! Tracks overcompressed cannot generally be uncompressed. Yeah compression is like a vasectomy. You need to be really sure you need it.-Richie

vocal compression

i think it would be safe in most beginning home studio applications to wait until the mix to compress the vocals. a bit more freedom that way unless you know how to get exactly the sound youre looking for before tracking.

Theres nothing wrong with some gentle 2:1 or 2.5:1 compression going in and then adding to taste whie mixing. In fact, the best vocals Ive gotten (least artifacts but still aggressive and up front) were by staging the compression with 2 outboard compressors doing gentle softknee 2.5:1 and 1.5:1 and then some modest compression on mixdown. Its also alot more interesting in terms of tonal possibilities than just going in dry and putting a plugin on the track.

IF you want a compressor and they're nice for straight voice or singing, get the RNC.
It's one piece of buget priced gear you'll find in many of the top pro studios.

Back