Vocal compression

EdJames

Hi guys, just bought an M-Audio TAMPA with built in compression and was hoping you could give me some tips on what compression settings to start with in order to get a base to start from. My euiqpment is listed below and my musical sound can be heard at www.edjamesmusic.com if that helps at all.

I'll look forward to getting some advice.

Compression settings..................

hhhmmmm

I didnt think id start saying this but we cant really help you there.
Each compressor will react differenty.

Best to start reading some articles on compression.

Learn the parameters of compression.

Just start tweakin it man.
Turn the ration up a generous amount.

Pull the threshold down until you get some gain reduction.
Then play with the attack and release.
Have some fun with the make up gain.

Then fine tune the ratio and threshold.

EdJames said:
That mean nothing to me :(

He's saying that compression settings are not generalizable. What works on your voice, with your mic/pre/etc. on your song is not the same for me. First, read about what the different parameters of a compressor do, then spend some time experimenting, as you will learn more by 'doing' than anything else. My tips would be:

1. if you don't know how to use compression, leave it out of the chain
2. if you still insist on using it despite #1, start with a relatively low ratio and little gain reduction.
3. forget #1 and #2 and use the most extreme settings, just to find out what it sounds like.

good articles can be found here: http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

good luck.

Ok, but in Lehmans terms, what do gain, release, attack, ratio and threshold setting each do?

I.e does attack make it sound crisper, does threshold make it quieter?

EdJames said:
Ok, but in Lehmans terms, what do gain, release, attack, ratio and threshold setting each do?

I.e does attack make it sound crisper, does threshold make it quieter?
Attack is how fast the "effect" will occur, threshold is the point at which the attack will start to read, release is how long it will take for the effect to fade away, gain is the amount of volume you increase before the effect (this affects threshold and attack) gain reduction is how much the sound will be "squashed"

Hopefully I helped alittle
-C$

EdJames said:
Thanks to both of you for that.

Are there any typical settings for a vocal compression?

Yes, there are. But just a quick word of explanation as to why you're not getting many definitive responses: Keep in mind that the use of compression is very much like working the tone knobs and pickups on a guitar. It wouldn't do someone much good, for example, to ask: How should I set the knobs on my guitar and amplifier? . Generally speaking, you need to gain an understanding of how they work, and then experiment with them, as every guitar and amp setup is going to be somewhat different, as are the taste of the individual player.

That said, here are a few guidelines for vocal compression settings:

Start with a medium attack ... perhaps a tad on the fast side. Fast release, but more on the slow side of fast. Unless it's a ballad, or if it has slower phrasing (lots of notes being held for more than a beat at a time) -- then you can get away with a much slower release. Usually.

With faster, more up-tempo phrasing, like with rap, you should go with a much, much faster release time. I suppose a good rule of thumb might be: the denser the concentration of words/lyrics in your material ... the faster the release time you can get away with.

Ratio depends almost entirely on how much dynamic range there is in the material (the amount of volume difference between your loudest and softest passages). But generally speaking, the more dynamic the passages, the higher the ratio (or gain reduction) you can/should get away with (try 3:1 or higher). The less dynamic range, then the less ratio / gain reduction is needed (try 2:1 for example). This is also where you have to use your noggin for more than getting kicked in by a bunch of smartass home recorders like us. :D In other words, you're going to have to decide for yourself how much compression "you like," and set the ratio accordingly.

As for threshold setting, you'll have to feel that one out. Just set it so that the compression is barely kicking in on your very quietest passages ... but slamming pretty good on the very loudest. And that should usually be a good place to start. Always, always sound check at full volume. Otherwise, the amount of compression and danger of clipping will increase on you dramatically and unexpectedly.

Good luck.

chessrock said:
Yes, there are. But just a quick word of explanation as to why you're not getting many definitive responses: Keep in mind that the use of compression is very much like working the tone knobs and pickups on a guitar. It wouldn't do someone much good, for example, to ask: How should I set the knobs on my guitar and amplifier? . Generally speaking, you need to gain an understanding of how they work, and then experiment with them, as every guitar and amp setup is going to be somewhat different, as are the taste of the individual player.

That said, here are a few guidelines for vocal compression settings:

Start with a medium attack ... perhaps a tad on the fast side. Fast release, but more on the slow side of fast. Unless it's a ballad, or if it has slower phrasing (lots of notes being held for more than a beat at a time) -- then you can get away with a much slower release. Usually.

With faster, more up-tempo phrasing, like with rap, you should go with a much, much faster release time. I suppose a good rule of thumb might be: the denser the concentration of words/lyrics in your material ... the faster the release time you can get away with.

Ratio depends almost entirely on how much dynamic range there is in the material (the amount of volume difference between your loudest and softest passages). But generally speaking, the more dynamic the passages, the higher the ratio (or gain reduction) you can/should get away with (try 3:1 or higher). The less dynamic range, then the less ratio / gain reduction is needed (try 2:1 for example). This is also where you have to use your noggin for more than getting kicked in by a bunch of smartass home recorders like us. :D In other words, you're going to have to decide for yourself how much compression "you like," and set the ratio accordingly.

As for threshold setting, you'll have to feel that one out. Just set it so that the compression is barely kicking in on your very quietest passages ... but slamming pretty good on the very loudest. And that should usually be a good place to start. Always, always sound check at full volume. Otherwise, the amount of compression and danger of clipping will increase on you dramatically and unexpectedly.

Good luck.

Now THAT is what I was after.

And Pingu, thanks for that. Upon your suggestio I've had a good hunt for it and low and behold it turned up in your wife; so my next question is...how do I use....oh yeah; I guess you're the LAST person I should be asking that.

Don't be a dick unneccessarily.

She likes it in the ass.

I want you to rape my wife and then my 3 year old daughter, after me.

pingu said:
She likes it in the ass.

I want you to rape my wife and then my 3 year old daughter, after me.

Yeah ok, lets end this conversation

I was just making a point that we can all be a dick, there's just no need for it on these boards. We're all hear to help each other not make juvenile comments.

Back