Vocal compression for Metal

rabidbandit

Ok...I know it's screaming in a mic for god sakes...but how can I control it. Keep in mind that the vocalist isn't that great at controlling mic placement. I just want to keep him and his backup from clipping the hell out of my board and FOH. Any recommendations on setting up my compressor??? I have an ok board (DDX3216...for the money I couldn't pass it up) with digital onbaord Comp/Gate, EQ's, and Effects. I'm really familiar with the board so I'm just looking for basic vocal comp settings. Mics they use are Audix, Shure, and yes a peavey for vocals. Should I use the compression pre or post fader???...I'm thinking pre maybe. Appreciate ya'lls help...this forum is a lifesaver :D

Last edited:
i'd do it pre fader...

it's really hard to give advice over the net on stuff like this...but try starting around 4:1 and taking 4-6 dB off. if you can hear it in a bad way - then go less.

or

try a couple chained together. two comps each working less than one comp alone can work out really well.

i like a medium attack and a fast release. if you have a a lot of percussive stuff - speed up the attack...

Mike

Use as little as you can to get the audio into your DAW without digistortion. Once on disk, you can compress even further if you think it needs more crushing. This is just general, but most home recording peeps don't have fundage for an outboard compressor that is worth using.

Use as little as you can to get the audio into your DAW without digistortion. Once on disk, you can compress even further if you think it needs more crushing. This is just general, but most home recording peeps don't have fundage for an outboard compressor that is worth using.

he's talking about a live situation.

I'll play around with it tonight. I've been post fader the whole time. I guess I'll grab me a mic and throw on some background music and wake up the neighbors:) Thanks guys :)

Hard knee, 2:1 fast attack and release.
Or DBX in Auto setting.
Med attack may sound nicer (in more controlled situations?) but might not 'protect'.
Wayne

Back