Vocal Booth/Amp room

BlindCowboy

OK. So, i've modified my plans that some of you may remember for a small recording room.

I've decided instead to go with a vocal booth that can serve as an amp booth that will comfortably fit two (2) people.

Nicest thing is that I should have a total build cost under $300.00. I've got access to a large supply of industrial and commercial pallets. I've also got my 2x10's from a dock that got rebuilt and the old 2x10's were tossed. I'm using the pallet planks for the flooring (planed and jointed, of course) and the ceiling. The walls will be a 703 equivalent that I found at a boat yard that belongs to a friend of mine. He took down a ceiling in his new shop to open up the room and stacked the insulation in the corner. So, inside to out is: sheet insulation, 1/2" sheetrock, R30 insulation, 1"sheetrock. Air gap in the middle of the 2x4's sitting on the 2x10 base.

Anybody have any contributing ideas?

Attachments

• Recording booth.bmp
    12.3 KB · Views: 474
he walls will be a 703 equivalent that I found at a boat yard that belongs to a friend of mine. He took down a ceiling in

If you haven't seen 703, or the boatyard stuff, I think you are misinformed. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if this is bouyancy insulation, it is closed cell foam, not rigid fiberglass like 703, however, not seeing the boatyard stuff myself, I may be wrong.

Nicest thing is that I should have a total build cost under $300.00.
Perhaps, perhaps not..

The walls will be a 703 equivalent that I found at a boat yard that belongs to a friend of mine. He took down a ceiling in his new shop to open up the room and stacked the insulation in the corner. So, inside to out is: sheet insulation, 1/2" sheetrock, R30 insulation, 1"sheetrock. Air gap in the middle of the 2x4's sitting on the 2x10 base.

You are planning a 2 leaf system that has isolation value of little more than a standard residential wall, even with 1" of exterior sheetrock. What will make a great difference, is to "decouple" the interior leaf, via RC. What about doors, seals, and the achilles heal of booths....ventilation? Those two things alone may render your estimate a little short. Even a SET of homemade heavy door will run you $100, add seals, theres another $100, sealable latchsets-$40-$60, neoprene floating pucks....caulking....trim....RC......insulation$$$ and then a ventilation system.... $$$$$

And then again, you might consider building a complete floating interior shell, with an exterior shell of MDF. Both having a framework of either wood or metal studs. Depth of airgap between the shiething of both shells is up to you. The exterior shell is just 4 walls, one of which gets door framing, between the existing ceiling and floor. Sealed of course. The interior shell, is a complete floating structure within. Walls should be built ON a floating floor, which actually could be a 2x4 frame, laid with the face down, on a visqueen layer, and then neoprene pucks. This too would have one wall with door framing. Build the walls on this frame with metal studs. No need for RC then, as you would have double walls. Shieth with 1 layer of 5/8" drywall, and then another layer of 1/2", but caulk every joint of the first layer before applying mud over the joints. Then rock with the second layer overlapping all previous joints. The ceiling could also be metal studs, supported by the walls. Once all this drywall work is done, you can simply build wood frames(with a fastening cleat)with fabric stretched over them. Stick in panels of 703 from the back, and fasten them to the interior walls with panel adhesive(on the cleats or rear edge of the frame.) If you screw them, caulk the screws. For the doors, realize this is the weak link. Every gap in the framing around the jamb must be sealed. The gap between the door and jambs must have gasketing seals. This is a TWO door system. One on the exterior shell, one on the interior shell. For the ventilation, this will require some investigation on the net. There are fans, small HVAC etc, but in order to truly vent the booth, you need a supply and return, each of which must penetrate the booth. Each of which requires duct work to the fan unit, that also have enough diameter to allow low speed supply and return of air, and enough bends in the ducts, to keep sound of the units from reaching the booth. This is why a complete set of plans for a booth has yet to surface here, as each person has his own set of conditions, floor space, existing HVAC etc etc etc. I'm just trying to let you know, your plan might as well be a residential wall system, as it will NOT successfully isolate LOW FREQUENCY sounds. Decoupling and MASS are usually the only ways to do this, but it all depends on what you will put up with, what you existing noise floor is, what is going on in the room that the booth is built in, how tolerant your family is, etc etc etc. I'm just trying to familiarize you with a more stringent set of construction techniques to maximize you isolation.
Here is a plan for you to look at. It has double wall system, double doors, double glass. Corner absorption, but the ventilation system is NOT shown, as everyperson has thier own set of limitations, and existing HVAC to connect to, or a unit of thier own choosing. This is just a basic plan...with 3 layers drywall on the interior, and what every you require on the exterior shell...well, enough of my ramble.

fitZ

oops, for some reason, my drawing file isn't uploading... :mad: I'll try again later.

Ok, I give. Your attatchment didn't show up when I read your thread. That pretty much looks like what I drew, which wouldn't upload. I don't know whats happening with the server, but something is wrong. :rolleyes: I'll try and post mine again.
fitZ

Nope, still didn't work. Oh well, later. :( :confused:

Rick,

I'm familiar with 703, hence why I spotted the insulation at the boatyard. It is not the foam that you are thinking of. It is essentially compressed fiber insulation that's roughly 2" thick.

I'll post more later on my construction plans. I've got a boat load of work to do right now....

I'm familiar with 703, hence why I spotted the insulation at the boatyard

Thats good. Also, since I didn't see your attatchment the first time, please ignor my suggestions, as your design is ok. Hope it works out for you. Vocal booths are in the eye and ear of the builder, but I've seen people here wondering if they can use closed cell foams for absorption purposes. Thats why I replied.

fitZ :)

Your design looks mostly good...

Definitly consider what to do for door seals and ventillation. Also the seals at the existing wall.

You don't go into much detail on the floor and ceiling. those could be weak points too.

Last edited:
Alrighty, a little time:

The floor will be a floating 2x6 frame that will be sheathed in MDF (because I have about 100 sqft. that I just salvaged from a dumpster behind a building that manufactures countertops) with a wood slat top(planed and tongue and groove pallet planks). The frame will attach to the inner wall, and the entire structure will be on top of ~30 1" thick rubber bushings that I salvaged from a chemical plant that I was doing a contract for. As to the ceiling, nothing special really. 2x4 frame with a drop ceiling of 1" sheetrock. Everything nice, tight, and sealed. For A/C and ventilation, the fourth wall that is not displayed has a window. The window will be sheeted in with an AC unit attached. Again, i'm not looking for complete isolation, just to quiet down my noise a bit and project what leaks, away from the house (the fourth wall faces the street). There will be a window, that will be double paned. One on each side of the wall and not attached.

This is a loose construction. Shit, i'm making it out of pallets. When you think about it, that's kind of cool. I'm motivated by a guy in Huntsville, Texas that builds houses out of salvage yard material. They're beautiful, functional, and a conversation piece. If I can make this whole damned thing with no more cost than the nails, screws, and mud, i'll consider it the best of victories.

At the worst, i'll have one hell of a mess to put out on heavy trash day.

I'm on a roll. :D

Again, i'm not looking for complete isolation, just to quiet down my noise a bit and project what leaks, away from the house (the fourth wall faces the street). There will be a window, that will be double paned. One on each side of the wall and not attached.

Shit, i'm making it out of pallets. When you think about it, that's kind of cool. I'm motivated by a guy in Huntsville, Texas that builds houses out of salvage yard material. They're beautiful, functional, and a conversation piece. If I can make this whole damned thing with no more cost than the nails, screws, and mud, i'll consider it the best of victories.

LOL Thats what I mean about ear and eye of the builder. I think thats great.
I have a business called Environmental Woodcraft. I collect stuff from everyplace I can get things....plex, hardwoods, driftwood, extrusions, glass....whatever...and then I build things from it in my shop. Done it for 30 yrs. Of course, thats just a hobby now, but I have a full shop. I've built everything in my studio from stuff I've collected, including 703. Actually, I'm a CAD detailer, so that helps. Well good luck with your booth, and hope it works great for you.
fitZ

BlindCowboy said:
The window will be sheeted in with an AC unit attached.
I admire your found materials approach. For the AC unit rather than an in-window unit (which has all sorts of flanking paths for sound) consider a portable unit, which would require only a small hole for the exhaust duct.

Just scored 2 boxes of industrial door hinges. Six total. And about 30 acoustic ceiling tiles.

Anything I can do with these damned tiles?

It is obvious to me I do not do enough dumpster diving.

Though, I now have a 25" stereo TV in the garage that one of my neighbors threw out.

"Why are you throwing it out?"
"We got sick of the silver color."
"Really, thats too bad.." <yoink>

Have never acquired wood or sheetrock from a dumpster... just steel plate, sheet, and tubing scraps. There's a couple of machine shops that generate a tremendous amount of scrap and I collected a pile of it for welding practice, and some small projects.

Back