Vm 200 midi system ex messages not sent?

JJM

Sunday eve

I am connecting the dots between a vm-200 mixer and a Yamaha DSP Factory.

I have the first twenty channels of the DSPF responding to signals from the vm-200:
fader
on/off
pan
effect 1 /aux 5
effect 2 /aux 6

Just as on page 212 of the Fostex manual.

So far, so far.

On page 217 it states "Fostex Exclusive messages are transmitted if the Tx channel matches the channel of [Dev ID] and when," .. the key is operated, .. "while [SYSTEM EX. Tx&Rx] is ON."

So, I have it set as described. However, I do not find the vm-200 is transmitting a midi message.

That is: when I move a channel fader, or press the on/off button, the midi interface lights LEDs to indicate activity.

No activity is evident when pressing the SOLO button, or turning the EQ adjusting knobs when in EQ edit mode.

Ideas are good at this point.

J

Have you made midi assignments on the PC end? I've never worked with a Yamaha DSP Factory, but I have my VM200 controlling just about everything in Nuendo. It's actually Continueous Controller messages I think you should be concerned about and not the System Exc. Messages. In the back of the manual are the CC Tables. Match those up to your Yamaha and you should be in business. Most PC software that accepts MIDI CC messages will usually have a "learn" function that lets you make the assigments just by moving the controller you wish to assign.

Thank you for your response.

I DO have the first twenty channels of the DSPF responding to signals from the vm-200:
fader
on/off
pan
effect 1 /aux 5
effect 2 /aux 6

Just as on page 212 of the Fostex manual.

The DSPF "learned" very well.

I want to also control the SOLO status and the EQ settings: these are system exclusive messages. (page 217)

These are the questions:
Are you controlling SOLO and the EQ settings? If so, how did you get there?

When you press the EQ button on a channel does your midi interface indicate a midi code has been transmitted? (This is not happening for me.)

J

system exclusive messages are just that... system exclusive... meaning only the vm200 can relate to those messages. The EQ button definitely does not send CC data and I'm guessing the solo button doesn't either. So therefore, you can't have the vm200 control the software eq/solo and vice versa.

You can still have a sequencer record system exclusive data, but that data won't control anything on the software side... just on the vm200. I'm not sure how that all works.

Monday eve

Thank you for your comments.

It may be that the sysex messages will be of no use, but,
on page 217 it states "Fostex Exclusive messages are transmitted,..."

My vm-200 does not appear to be doing such.

Regardless of the receiving device, the midi message should be sent. Yes?

So thus, I am confused.

Does your vm-200 send such messages?

[I figger, if the messages are transmitted, they should be captureable (?). And hence, translatable.]

J

My vm200 does send and receive system exclusive messages. I usually don't use them though. Look at pages 179 and 188 for better details on how to set up the mixer to send/receive SysExc messages.

By translatable, do you mean the PC should be able to translate the SysExc? If you do, it doesn't work that way. A sequencing program can indeed capture and play back (re-transmit) those messages, but they won't mean anything to the sequencing program or PC because they are exclusive to the vm200.

Back