VM 04 Mixer-any opinions?

tedmuse

Anyone had any experiences, good or bad, with the VM 04 digital mixer with effects? Since it has effects, I'm thinking of subbing it for my Mackie 1202VLZ Pro (has no effects).

Two questions-

1.Are effects of good quality? Good for live applications but not for recording?

2.Specs say 20 bit A/D, D/A.. can come out analogue or digital out. What if i'm coming out digitally and going to record 24/96 on my Akai Dps 16. Does the bit conflict create problems with execution and/or sound quality?

What if I go analogue out to digiital in on my Akai? Would this make sense in any way?

Thanks...................Ted

Fostex VM04

I just bought one on Ebay for $49.95 shipped. So I will put it through it's paces within the week. I am going to use it however to add 2 more recording tracks to my Fostex VF-16 recorder. These 2 added tracks will give 10 simultaneous recording tracks.

Best Regards,
Daniel

Daniel:

Was that a new unit you got?

Either way, I'd like to hear about your experiences with the unit.

I'm new at the Akai and I'm trying to avoid the hassle of using it's effects card

thanks................Ted

I've got a VM04, great little mixer. Effects are fine. Fantastic bang for the buck!!

Fostex VM04

Well, I received my mixer yesterday in the mail. I can tell you this, this was not in a smoke free environment! No offense to smokers, but that damn smoke permeates everything! Anyway, on the real test. It did not have a manual, but heck I really didn't need it to test it. I am using this to pump in 2 more recording channels to he simul analog 8 the VF-16 will do. This now gives me 2 digital inputs in addition tothe 8 analog inputs. I hooked up the outputs of my Mackie 1402vlz to tracks 3/4 of the VM04 and used the SPDIF optical out into the optical input of the VF-16. So I am basically using it as a 2 channel converter. And it works perfectly! The effects sound fine and are very useable if you wanted to use them during tracking. My only real complete is there is no on/off switch. It is either plugged in or unplugged for the on/off. It doesn't feel as flimsy as I thought it would. But, the input jack for the power supply is loose as hell. Still for $49.95 shipped it was a real bargain.

Regards,
Daniel

Back