Vista: turn down the gay and use it, or downgrade to XP?

Whoopysnorp

Just got a new laptop that I'll be using for mobile tracking. I'll probably stick with mixing on my desktop PC. Of course, Vista came preloaded. Based on my first half-hour's experiences, I'd say it looks pretty, but seems to run needlessly slow. However I've heard you can dial down the gayness until it becomes usable. I'm tempted to just wipe it clean and install XP, but has anybody made peace with Vista? Is it worth it?

I'm using REAPER and a Fireface 800 btw.

Wipe it and install XP.

There's no advantages at all for recording purposes. Sure there's security measures, but your recording rig should not be on the internet anyway.

+1 on wiping it and installing XP on there.

Why take the time to mess with it.

i made peace with my gay vista...... stopped the gay though, all the see-through crap and windows that start from a pixel then go full screen...

but i only use analouge (Spelling!) inputs to record so yano...

XP!!!
But be SURE to have a look if your notebook is still XP-compatible, I have an ASUS which needs XP with SP2, otherwise it would have no power management and such.
It was a Vista-ready shit so you have to find all the drivers by yourself...

The last PC I bought (office PC only), it was "Vista Ready", whatever that means. I was like, "pppffff...F that." So, in short, go with XP.

Keep the Vista and take the skirt off of it. If you have at least 2 gigs of ram Vista minus the gay works fine.

I received a Sony Vaio laptop as a gift from Santa (yes, he's real), and it had Vista Home Premium.
It's sort of collecting dust as I wait for SP1. But my research and findings, is that you can make programs run in XP mode in Vista.
I have read that people have done Ok with Vista for recording.
I want to downgrade to XP Pro .. but Sony doesn't have video drivers for XP for the laptop model. I have checked out a lot of places, and you can run XP, but video sucks.
One "enhancement" Vista has made for audio is each program can have their own audio thread, where XP has only one audio thread period.

I've been using Vista for about 6-7 months and besides the fact that my EMU sampler isn't compatible the basic recording has worked fine, in fact I'm going to be dual-boot with XP so I can use my sampler and use it for song/music creation but I'll do all my recording in Vista.

Sorry. Vista was born gay.. You'd be very insensitive to force any heterosexual feelings in Vista... what..are you a homophobe?

*snicker*

Dont dump it. Make a dual boot system out of it. That way if you didnt get a Vista disk with the unit, then its not lost forever. Unless they gave you a recover disk.

Back