Vista Operating Systems

Cubase runs fine on that platform too, just use the XP drivers and whats wrong with Vista?

Im not trying to hear that, you can still run programs with Vista....ALL programs have their problems just dont blame it all on Vista! :rolleyes: ;)

What?

It is what it is Carter..... great if it's working for you, but it's currently a disaster.

There is no benefit to upgrading to it, for business OR home, it did not deliver 90% of the features it was supposed to have and you have to have an extra gig of ram and a gamer's video card to run the damn AERO menu interface.

http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=653446

QUOTE from the article : Somebody has to say it: Microsoft has made a terrible mistake with Windows Vista.

Currently - although this hasn't seem to have hit the media yet, there is a major Vista vs. Intenet Explorer 7 flwa they are trying to fix.

Yep.... Vista has incompatibilities with INTERNET EXPLORER 7

Main article: Criticism of Windows Vista
Windows Vista has received a number of negative assessments. Criticisms of Windows Vista include protracted development time, more restrictive licensing terms, the inclusion of a number of technologies aimed at restricting the copying of protected digital media,[59] and the usability of the new User Account Control security technology. Reviewers have also noted some similarities between Vista's Aero interface and that of Apple's Aqua interface for the Mac OS X operating system. Moreover, some concerns have been raised about many PCs meeting "Vista Premium Ready" hardware requirements and Vista's pricing.

Hardware requirements
Whilst, according to Microsoft, "nearly all PCs on the market today [2005] will run Windows Vista”,[60] the higher requirements of some of the 'premium' features, such as the Aero interface, have impacted many upgraders. According to The Times in May 2006, the full set of features “would be available to less than 5 percent of Britain’s PC market”.[61]This continuing lack of clarity eventually lead to a class action against Microsoft as people found themselves with new computers that were unable to run the new software despite assurances. [62]
Slow file operations
When released, Vista performed file operations such as copying and deletion more slowly than other operating systems. Large copies required when migrating from one computer to another seemed difficult or impossible without workarounds such as using the command line. This inability to perform basic file operations efficiently attracted strong criticism.[63] After six months, Microsoft confirmed the existence of these problems by releasing a special performance and reliability update,[64] which was later disseminated through Windows Update, and will be included in SP1.[65]
Licensing and cost
The introduction of additional licensing restrictions has been criticized. Criticism of upgrade licenses pertaining to Windows Vista Starter through Home Premium was expressed by Ars Technica's Ken Fisher, who noted that the new requirement of having a prior operating system already installed was going to cause irritation for users who reinstall Windows on a regular basis.[66] It has been revealed that an Upgrade copy Windows Vista can be installed clean without first installing a previous version of Windows. On the first install, Windows will refuse to activate. The user must then reinstall that same copy of Vista. Vista will then activate on the reinstall, thus allowing a user to install an Upgrade of Windows Vista without owning a previous operating system.[67] As with Windows XP, separate rules still apply to OEM versions of Vista installed on new PCs; these are not legally transferrable.[68] The cost of Windows Vista has also been a source of concern and commentary. A majority of users in a poll said that the prices of various Windows Vista editions posted on the Microsoft Canada website in August 2006 make the product too expensive.[69] A BBC News report on the day of Vista's release suggested that, "there may be a backlash from consumers over its pricing plans - with the cost of Vista versions in the US roughly half the price of equivalent versions in the UK."[70]
Digital rights management
Another common criticism concerns the integration of new forms of digital rights management into the operating system, specifically the introduction of the Protected Video Path. This architecture is designed such that "premium content" from HD DVD or Blu-ray discs may mandate that the connections between PC components be encrypted. Devices such as graphic cards must be approved by Microsoft. Depending on what the content demands, the devices may not pass premium content over non-encrypted outputs, or they must artificially degrade the quality of the signal on such outputs or not display it all. There is also a revocation mechanism that allows Microsoft to disable drivers of compromised devices in end-user PCs over the Internet.[71] Peter Gutmann, security researcher and author of the open source cryptlib library, claims that these mechanisms violate fundamental rights of the user (such as fair use) , unnecessarily increase the cost of hardware, and make systems less reliable, (the "tilt bit" is a particular worry; if triggered, the entire graphic subsystem performs a reset) and vulnerable to denial-of-service attacks.[72] Proponents have claimed that Microsoft had no choice but to follow the demands of the movie studios, and that the technology will not actually be enabled until after 2010;[73][74] Microsoft also noted that content protection mechanisms have existed in Windows as far back as Windows Me, and that the new protections will not apply to any existing content (only future content).[75]
User Account Control
Concerns have been raised about the new User Account Control (UAC) security technology. While Yankee Group analyst Andrew Jaquith believes that critical security vulnerabilities may be "reduced by as much as 80%," he also noted that "while the new security system shows promise, it is far too chatty and annoying."[76] This statement was made over six months before Vista was actually released. When Windows Vista was released in November 2006, Microsoft had reduced the number of operating system tasks that triggered UAC prompts, and added file and registry virtualization to reduce the number of legacy applications that trigger UAC prompts.[77] Despite reductions in UAC prompts they still are triggered by many programs, particularly programs not designed for Windows Vista.
Software Protection Platform
Vista includes an enhanced set of anti-piracy technologies, based on Windows XP's WGA, called Software Protection Platform (SPP).[78] A major component of this is a new reduced functionality mode, which Vista enters when it detects that the user has "failed product activation or of that copy being identified as counterfeit or non-genuine",[79] which is described in a Microsoft white paper as follows: "The default Web browser will be started and the user will be presented with an option to purchase a new product key. There is no start menu, no desktop icons, and the desktop background is changed to black. [...] After one hour, the system will log the user out without warning".[80] This has been criticised for being overly draconian,[81][82] especially given reports of "false positives" by SPP's predecessor,[83] and at least one temporary validation server outage.[84][85] Microsoft will be removing the reduced functionality mode in Service Pack 1 in favor of prominent notices on systems not found to be genuine.[86]

reaper works great here, but the trick is finding drivers that work. in that case, so far tascam's fw-1804 and us-122 have worked over here.

Mmmmm

Im not trying to hear that, you can still run programs with Vista....ALL programs have their problems just dont blame it all on Vista! :rolleyes: ;)

You can still run programs, i.e. Calculator, Solitaire, Word.

Mmmm no. It's all Vista's problems.

Writing software for Vista is a bitch because they changed so much for no good reason. I've had to almost completely rewrite some programs just because of how Vista wants to "enhance security" aka, assume the user is a retard.

Carter -

If Vista is working for you that really is cool.

I've got to check it out again pretty soon here myself, as I am going to have to learn it eventually.

Just wanted to say I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk.

For us musicians

It really does not make any sense at all to not continue with XP, if you are on the Windows platform.

Vista, for all its enhanced security and pretty interface, is slower.

Not all, but most of us musicians, who do music, want a screaming eagle with afterburners. Vista is just not your machine for this matter.

Another kiddy comparison:

XP = F-15 eagle
Vista = AWACS surveillance plane

<grin>

It is possible to disable (turn off) Vista Aero, from what I read.
I just got a Sony Vaio laptop for Xmas with Vista Home Premium.
I don't have internet at home, so I have done maybe 1/2 hour of search to find out more on Vista and have come across a Performance document. A quick read there, and like all versions of Windows, you can turn things off.
I am in need of a sound interface, as the laptop has solely MIC and Headphone ports.
But, it has 4 USB 2.0 / 1 FW 400 / 1 SD / 1 Memory Stick ports

There is a feature called ReadyBoost that can use USB stick and other flash memory as RAM. I haven't looked into it yet, but will soon

Back