virus?? winkson.exe

camn

Slack!! or others!!

While I was away, I think my comp had some unsafe intercourse with other machines. It was a little sluggish... so I went to investigate... and It wouldnt let me open the ctrl-alt-del tasklist (in XP home)... it would just shut it down right away.

Also.. I noticed MSN Explorer was installed... which I would never do... and no one has copped to it.

Anyway...I was able to get the tasklist open for a second.. and noticed a prog called WINKSON.EXE taking up mad cpu time... so I killed it.. and alls back to normal. Now I can open the list and all. However, I am unable to install my typical antivirus SW..but Ill try again.

anyway.. I find NO info online re: winkson.exe.... so I assume it is not a normal winXP process... and I find no reference to it in MSCONFIG..

BUT I do find the .exe. file in the PREFETCH folder.... can I just delete it?? or do I need to adjust my registry.

Oh.. also, System restore wont go back before this month... I dont know if that is normal or WINKSON-related.

thanks in advance for any info!

xoox

Ditto with you, I can't find any info on the winkson.exe file. I doubt it is any sort of virus.

Some questions - I assume you are logging in as yourself? Does anyone else have the password to your login? And I assume your login has administrative rights over the machine?

Hmm, never heard of that specifically...

However, the infamous "klez" went by "wink.exe" , and perhaps "winkson.exe" means "son of wink" ?

Dunno...do an online virus scan at antivirus.com

Slackmaster 2000

Chris... We only have one ID on this machine. the admin.

Slack.. thats some clever thinking.. Ill check it!

xoox

Back