Virtualizer Pro Or Mpx 100?

tonyA

I know this might have been compared before, but I can't find it. But for a small home studio within their price range, which one would you pick and why?

I understand that Behringer has its detractors and Lexicon has many aficionados, the reasons which are clear to us. But I need real honest opinions. A local commercial recording engineer recommended Behringer for flexibility and stated that Lexicon may have good products but the MPX-100 OR 110 sounds thin and hard to program if at all. How true is this?

Thanks in advance.

I personally think the Virt. Pro is a piece of junk as far as reverbs - they're tinny, metallic and harsh-sounding.

I haven't heard the MPX100, but I'd wager it is much better than the Behringer just from Lexi's reputation.......

I have an MPX 100 and I've worked with the Virtualizer.

In my humble opinion the Lexicon has warmer reverbs. While the 100 is certainly not one of Lexicons best products and is very limited in the programming - I think it still sounds better than the Behringer (and the sound is the important thing right?)

By the way, I'm not a Behringer basher - I do own a few Behringer pieces (headphone amp, compressor & EQ) - but I'm not a fan of thier reverbs.

By the way if you can find one - the TC Electronics M300 is in the same general price range and I think it sounds much better than the MPX100

mikeh said:
By the way if you can find one - the TC Electronics M300 is in the same general price range and I think it sounds much better than the MPX100

True!

Owner of a Lex MPX500, TC M300 and Virt Pro-Ho'.

M300 'Verbs r so much spacious than the Beh.

I've used the Behringer unit. The reverbs and delays disappointed me, but surprisingly the CHORUS effect sounds really great when you simply move the parameters to +16 on the lo and hi end. It really saved my ass on a couple of projects and sounded sweet as. It's still my "secret weapon"when it comes to vocal chorus fx.

Just for reference my other outboard fx are:

Lexicon PCM 81
Lexicon MPX1
Lexicon LXP5
Yamaha Rev 7
Alesis Quadraverb II
Alesis Midiverb 4
Zoom 9030

In certain situations the Behringer Virtualizer Pro is my favorite chorus fx out of all these units. Go figure... ;)

Dingo

With an effects box line up like that, I believe no one could call Sir Dingo a Behringer basher or even doubt his sincerity about his observations. I guess Virtual Pro is good for some things.

But really, other than, "It should not sound, 'thin, thinny, harsh, metallic', and it should sound, 'lush, thick, spacioush, natural' has anyone really established objectively what latitude of the controls for the parameters it need to modify or the latitude of the presets it provides and extent of the sound as the controls are modified (or as one steps through the presets) , for an effects box of this nature should sound like, other than these subjective descriptions? As we all know, our results could be tainted by many other empirical factors.

Since this thread started, I learned (thanks to you and this board), of TC Electronics MC300 and Roland SRV-3030. Emphasis on the Correct parameters to be set and seems like they were designed by the vocalists or guitar player themselves who ever wished they have a third hand to manipulate the controls while they were singing and playing. The reviews I hear online on both of these items are great (but that doesnt tell me anything except in the manner you presented them here as how you use them, not in their perception, as you know, we read rave reviews on both Behringer Virtualizer Pro and Lexicon MPX 100 also, although there are some bashers on both.) It seems people tend to rationalize or validate their choice of the box they bought. Most reliable are people like Sir Dingo who owns several, and has no validation to worry about himself.

Too late for me. Wanting to improve upon by vocal treatment by Virtualizer Pro, based on peoples attitudes about Behringer from this board, I went ahead and bought Lexicon MPX 100 at ebay for $125. It should arrive soon. As soon as it gets here, I will put it through its paces for the purpose I need to use it. Move from one parameter or preset and compare them to VP. I will let you know my results. But then again, I am clueless of how a great one should sound like since I don't have a line of of expensive effect boxes like Sir Dingo. I did, however, got involved with one album whos studio was overseas. I couldn't remember what the brand it was but it definitely wasn't the same ones we are familiar with. I do have the album though and it sounds great. I you want to hear the MP3, I just might convert it and post part of it here.

Back