Virtual studio versus external equipement

bcnx

Hi guys 'n girls,

I hope you can help me out on this one. I'm currently building my own home-studio and I'm facing a big dilemma. I just read a review on the Creamware Pulsar II card in Future Music - I quote: "This may sound rather dramatic, but if you own a Pulsar II you should seriously consider ditching the majority of your outboard gear."

I was just about to get me some synths and possibly a hardware sampler, I already own an extensive effect-box, but if I read this review, all seems to included in this little baby.

What do yo think about a system that's completely PC-based? Pros are, I think, the flexibility and the price. The biggest cons to me are the fact that you don't have knobs to turn and the possible instability in live situations (the Pulsar runs on Windows 98).

All comments welcome.

Cheerz!

Hi Reg.,

Thx for your reply. I've noticed the threads focus on the recording aspect, but that particular issue is not a problem to me: I prefer a decent soundcard and some good recording soft for that. I'm talking mainly about the choice between ao external synths and effects versus all these devices integrated in a PC by for instance, a soundcard like the Creamware Pulsar. This particular card incorporates most synths and effects but obviously needs to be controlled by no other means than your screen and your mouse. I wonder how this kind of creative process compares to the one onvolving external devices with knobs and sliders to manipulate. You see? It's about the virtual studio versus the real one. The virtual one is very cheap compared to the other one, but will iy encourage the creative process?

Thanks!

Back