Virtual Orchestra Question!

I hope this is in the right forum. Anyway, I'm looking for a VI orchesta, and I'm thinking Garritan Personal Orchestra vs. MOTU Symphonic Instrument. Can anyone offer any advice on one or both of these bundles?

I have both....Before you do either check out East/West Silver or Gold. Miles ahead.

My budget would keep me to QL Silver. The sounds still seem damn good. Any other considerations beyond sample quality?

OK, well, a consideration that I've happened upon: system requirements. I'm running a Centrino Duo with 1g of RAM, and doesn't appear to get anywhere near the minimums for this program. I can double my RAM for $30, no problem, but I can't budget for a whole new machine. What kind of system are you running this on?

Alright. I've figured out that the East West packages sound the best by far. In terms of this thread, that's not really new news. I do have to say that I'm pissed off at East West now, though. The older version of the Virtual Orchestras they were selling ran as virtual instruments and came with Kompakt. It only required 256 megabytes of RAM.

These older versions have just been discontinued, and the new versions use this (apparently proprietary) "PLAY" sampler (or whatever it is). This effer requires 2 gigs of RAM (recommends 4!) and a monster processor (or two, or four, or eight). Unless one wants to spend mucho dinero on buying a whole new outfit, this effectively renders East West products a non-possibility.

The samples apparently have not changed or been re-recorded. That is, it's the same set of files as before.

On top of that, the older versions were still available on Friday, and I said "I'll give it a couple days." :mad:

I'm not complaining, though, just speaking the facts.

RE: Are there free softwares?

I am just getting started attempting to figure out how to work midi & set up a virtual orchestra software. Are there any free virtual orchestra softwares (fairly good ones?) that can integrate into "Finale Print Music 2006"?

Also take a look at the Kirk Hunter "Emerald" library. I have it and the East West Gold and many times prefer Emerald.

Back