Virgin post

Renegade

Hi, everybody. What a cool site. Thank gawd I'm not alone on the precarious path of home recording!!!

I'll cut to the chase: I've got an Ultra PC with a SonyCRX140E burner. I'm set up with Cakewalk ProAudio 9 and a Layla soundcard, both which work like charms. I can record directly or convert my Boss BR-8 zip disks easily to a bundle file and then to a wave. I pull up my Adaptec Create-A-CD software, layout the CD info and listen to a preview that sounds 'like butter' . . . then I burn it to a CD and it turns to ca-ca. The system self-test says everything's hunky-dory, but the CD sounds s-l-o-w. My ol' man (picker extrordinaire) says musically it's a half a step
plus lower than it should be.

Again, the system says the burner is working properly, and I can copy a disk without a speed problem. Wha's the deal?

Yeah, it is 44.1. Somebody told me that maybe the Layla soundcard is interfering. Sounds a little far-fetched to me, but I thought I'd bypass it just to check. Any other ideas out there?

Someone else said maybe it's the media. I'm using Memorex CDRs. Whadayathink?

Not to second guess ya here, but it really sounds like it's a sample-rate mismatch given the lower pitch. If you play your .WAV file in Winamp, does it report 44kHz or 48kHz?Audio CD's have to play at 44.1kHz, and if you playback a 48kHz file at the lower sample rate, it'll sound slower and lower just as you described (you aren't feeding the samples as fast as they were recorded).

Salright. I put the 'new' in n-n-n-newbie.

What you say makes sense, but I don't know anything about winamp. How do I access it? The only thing I'm going by is that Cakewalk defaults to 44.1 with a 16 bit depth and I haven't found any reason to change either of those.

I tried unhooking Layla to burn and that was as bogus as it sounded. S-t-i-l-l--g-o-i-n-g--t-o-o--s-l-o-w . . .

Color me perplexed.

Winamp is freeware and can be downloaded. It is intended to be more of a jukebox/audio player, but it is very versitle. And it should be an easy way to check your sample rate.

Get it at http://www.winamp.com

-Jett Rocker

Another clue about your sample rate is the ratio of bytes to track length. Simply post the actual # of bytes in your .wav file prior to burn and the length of the tune in milliseconds and I'm sure someone here can clear this up.
I'm assuming a 16 bit sample size since you mentioned that's what you use.
I've used Memorex media and never had a problem.
That's not it.

Sample rate

Hey, when you're right, you're right. It was the sample rate . . . but not in Cakewalk, and not in the Boss BR-8! It was Layla that was running at 48kHz! Their manual is really vague in spots. They don't even mention sample rate till the appendix and by the time I read all about Nyquist Theorem I was nodding off. I stumbled onto where to set it under "Session" - "Sample Rate Lock" on the Layla console.

Another question . . . I have files on Cakewalk that were recorded (inadvertantly!) at 48kHz (our band's last live recording before we broke up!). I don't suppose there is any way to convert them so I can get them on a CD? Is there anything else I could get them onto to save them for posterity?

A thousand smiles to you guys . . .

Back