Vinyl preparation?

ragata

I just got a job to record a 7" and the band wanted me to "master" (ie. prepare, in this case) it as well.
So. I know that you want to avoid highs over 18kHz and lows at around 40Hz, working with vinyl in mind. Also, I believe I should avoid compressing / limiting the mix too much.

Is the anything crucial I'm missing? I'd hate to finish off a great sounding master only to have the actual record sound like shit :( .

Thanks

It's crucial to get a great sounding mix and then let the M.E. handle it. Vinyl mastering is its own art.

DO try to keep phase issues to a minimum, no limiting on the buss and buss compression, if any, should be very gentle (off if possible) - Leave the rolloffs and elliptics to the M.E.

Sure, I'd prefer them to send the final mix to someone else, but unfortunatly that's not going to happen. Granted, they could let the guys at the pressingplant do a standard shape-up, but in my own experiance that can sometimes be a huge mistake (especially at this particular pressingplant). So I guess I'll have to make the most of it on my own.

Thanks for the tips though, much appretiated! :)

Back