Vintech X73i

Sporkmyband

This unit (I'm scared to say it.) doesn't come with a power supply does it? It costs about 300 bucks extra! OMG, I'm gonna cry. TELL ME IT AIN'T SO! Is it? How does it compare to the Vintech dual 72?

IMO it sounds better than the dual 72. the eq is really nice to... and yea..the downside is the power supply..its $225
the dual72 is designed off the 1272 the x73 and x73i are designed off the 1073

thats what i was gonna say.. check out chandler. but i didn't know what type of budget he was working with. the ltd-1 is awesome

chandler

I checked out chandlers, and they are like 400+ out of my price range that has already gotten so high that it frightens little children. LOL (or laugh quietly if you wish). I have really been listening to Dan Richards alot. He's a great guy. But I talked to one of my absolute favorite indie producer/engineer/mixers and he told me that he was using the Vintech X73 on alot of stuff. Dan has really been pushing the solid state pre route for my rock/emo/electronic sound. He has me convinced. I was seconds away from a UA LA610 before I was bravely saved by Dan filling me in on it. This really great guy at SoundPure named Doug was great too. I don't need a tube pre right now (unless it has Manley written on it, :) I don't even care what it sounds like then). I was looking at the Dual 1272 for like 1350, but I haven't experienced the magic of a good pre yet, so I needed something on the strip like eq to feel that i am getting my money's worth. So I am looking at the Vintech X73i very closely. It is on the very tip/top of my budget. Can't go any further, I GOT KIDS TO FEED. Well, not exactly, I'm only 20. I'm the kid that needs fed.

Sporkmyband said:
...I talked to one of my absolute favorite indie producer/engineer/mixers and he told me that he was using the Vintech X73 on alot of stuff.

If you've got several pres in your rack, something in the 1073 camp - like the X73 - can be excellent. However, if you're only going to be using one pre to track everything - it's not even close to being the best choice, IMO.

Neve-ish Pres-ish

Dan,
You specifically told me to check out the Dual 72 vintech thing. From what I understand, the X73 is alot less muddy than the 72, plus the 72 has eq and with the output up and the gain pretty low and the mic impedance on low, won't it clean-up. I can use the onboard pres on the 896hd MOTU for some clean stuff right? Have you ever heard those? How did people recording with neve consoles and why do they make neve lunchbox arrangements if the mud up, not that I don't believe you, I'm just wondering why sometimes it is okay to use them in excess of one track. How many rock tracks would you say it takes to mud up?

I wrote that the Vintech Dual 72 was an option. It's also 2 channels and it's within your $1300 budget. Still wouldn't be my first, or even second, choice. I actually had some other recommendations - but you had to go...

Whoever said anything about only using a Neve/Neve-type pre on only one track? Not me.

soundpure has a special on focusrite isa428's, you may wanna check it out.
the x73i sounds good.. a very good neve style pre.. not quite a chandler though.
i wouln't make it my main pre for tracking vocals unless i wanted some color. my main pre for tracking focals is a isa220

with 1300 you may wanna get 2 pres that have different sounds like a john hardy m1 and a groove tube brick...Just a thought. maybe not those 2 pres but a combo like that

Sounds like Dan's advice was very specific regarding the dual 72 and then you sort of morphed it into a recommendation for the X73. For the record, an engineer recently recommended the Chandler over a Vintech to me, and he had a couple Vintechs in his rack.

For a general purpose quality pre that will be the mainstay of your recording chain, you might want to go with something less colored, like the John Hardy, Millenia HV-3B, or something along those lines. I also like the recommendation of the Groove Tubes BRICK alongside something less colored.

Well Then Just Shoot Me People!

Just kidding. I really appreciate all this help. Possibly, unfortunately, I already technically own the vintech x73i. But I have many-a-time, slapped stuff on ebay the night I got it, auditioned it, and HATED IT! I don't think I'll have trouble getting my 1400 back for it, if I need to. There were 48 people watching the one I got online. Its new and in the original box. Only used an hour...lol...like everything else on ebay. I was talking with Dan yesterday and my fiance was calling me to pick her up and I had to get off of the phone. I tried to call him back later for more recommendations and he was gone. It turned out that later I spoke with a producer/engineer at the black lodge and he specifically answered my questions I had for him about what preamp he used on a few cd's that I adore that here's what he said. "get a vintech x73i and an 1176 or distressor. sure, it's a lot of cash, but you'll be able to record anything with them and they'll hold their value." The studio he works at doing digital and they have multiple x73's. So here I am, actually getting emails from one of my favorite engineer/producers concerning albums that I really love by bands that I have actually seen live. I check out the price of them and see that they are 1349 on sound pure but then realize, I NEED A POWER SUPPLY for 225. That is 1575. TOO far out of my range. I check ebay, see one on there for the tip top price I can afford, (I believe in fate by the way :)) And then...I CLICK Buy it now. Dumb? Maybe. I used Dan's suggestion of going solid-state, belive me, I was hell bent. I also "morphed" his suggestion to check out the Vintech Dual 72 into him saying that Neve-ish is okayish. He knows what I need, I believe that, and I thought that his Vintech suggestion was justification for the X73i. I do have two other meeks, and I'll have those built in pups on the 896HD, I plan to get a FET LDC mic as soon as possible. It all made sense. What I regret is that I used what the Great River MP1-NV in comparison to the VTB-1 to guess as to what kind of character it adds. With the guitar tracks especially, the 57 with the SP VTB-1 compared to the GR/57. OMG, the GR was focused, but still seemed huge. It was edgy, but didn't really kill my ears. The EQ on the X73i was also a plus, because I feel like I need something more than just a pre on a strip for this much moolah. The GR EQ costs as more than I am spending on the whole strip. SHEESH! But as I look back, I am seeing that the GR, might have been the way to go, and it might still be the way to go. I can slap that puppy back on ebay no trouble. The mic pre search hasn't ended.

Back