Vintage vocal sound....

sugar382

Anyone know how to achieve that 60's garage band vocal sound? I guess, some call it "lo-fi". A little sharp with reverb and maybe even a little overdrive. Not looking to get a super clean hi-fi vocal. I know, crazy, right? Think iggy and the stooges and some nuggets bands.

I know bands in the 60's use to use their amps to sing through. I've seen photos of bands from that time playing and singing through their 4-channel Silvertone amps and all. Just wondering, if you were to use a guitar amp for vocals in a studio, how would you set that up? I'm sure you couldn't just mic the guitar amp....just trying to keep an open mind. any suggestions would be appreciated!

Just record the vocals as you normally would then go back and tweak them into low fi by a number of different manors.
You can use a a variety of plug ins from EQ to fuzzbox to achieve the desired textured sound your hearing in your mind.
Or my favorite.....you can try reamping the vocals, then mix the clean tracks with the reamped tracks.
This method is very cool and your not restricted to the perimeters of plug ins.
During the reamping you can become very creative by simply using your imagination for what you use for gear amp,stomp boxes,toys...etc...in your reamping recording chain.

:cool:

There are a few things you can try other than that too, try experimenting with a few things, put your mic in a card board box maybe? Or perhaps something similar to a kazzoo, get a couple of pieces of tissue paper and fix them in between a frame (could be made of cardboard or something) in the style of a pop shield. That is quite an intriguing idea actually, i may just have to try that one myself!!!

Have a mess around. Let us know your results.

some good ideas here

Anyone know how to achieve that 60's garage band vocal sound? I guess, some call it "lo-fi". A little sharp with reverb and maybe even a little overdrive. Not looking to get a super clean hi-fi vocal. I know, crazy, right? Think iggy and the stooges and some nuggets bands.

I know bands in the 60's use to use their amps to sing through. I've seen photos of bands from that time playing and singing through their 4-channel Silvertone amps and all. Just wondering, if you were to use a guitar amp for vocals in a studio, how would you set that up? I'm sure you couldn't just mic the guitar amp....just trying to keep an open mind. any suggestions would be appreciated!

I have an old Fisher X-100B tube amplifier. it's a stereo hi-fi amp. it
was my dad's. it's really cool. I read somewhere (can't remember)
that a lot of singers like the old fisher amps as vocal preamps.
just a thought. I need to check into how to tweak it for microphones
instead of tape decks and so on

Back