Vintage Trem And Floyd Lock Nut

mike2731

I'm putting together another project, and I have a body and Fender vintage 6 screw trem on it. I have a nice Warmoth Strat neck I'd like to use, but it's cut for a floyd locking nut. Would I be better off:

a: finding a standard nut that replaces the floyd nut (I've found ebanol nuts with a metal base, but I'm not familiar with how these work...I assume they would mount like a Floyd nut)

b: just use the floyd lock nut without the top locking part

c: get myself a neck with a standard nut

Obviously, I don't want to go with option "c" unless absolutely necessary. I'm just not sure what would be best. It seems like the floyd nut without the locks on it should work fine with the vintage trem, but I'm not very experienced in these bridges, and thought I better seek out some info. Thanks!

Mike

mike2731 said:
I'm putting together another project, and I have a body and Fender vintage 6 screw trem on it. I have a nice Warmoth Strat neck I'd like to use, but it's cut for a floyd locking nut. Would I be better off:

a: finding a standard nut that replaces the floyd nut (I've found ebanol nuts with a metal base, but I'm not familiar with how these work...I assume they would mount like a Floyd nut)

b: just use the floyd lock nut without the top locking part

c: get myself a neck with a standard nut

Obviously, I don't want to go with option "c" unless absolutely necessary. I'm just not sure what would be best. It seems like the floyd nut without the locks on it should work fine with the vintage trem, but I'm not very experienced in these bridges, and thought I better seek out some info. Thanks!

Mike

Does the neck have the holes through it for the nut bolts? If so, you are really going to need to use the Floyd nut. If not, the space could be filled in so you could use a standard nut, though it would look a little weird up close, and if it is a maple fingerboard you would need to get some finish work done. If you go this route, I would advise you get it done by a professional. This is not really a simple thing, though it is easier than some tasks.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Option d: Have you maybe looked into a "roller nut"?

I'm not sure if it would make up the width of the existing Floyd nut, but it may be a practical option.

i use the floyd nut, minus the locking pieces on my ibanez that i blocked the trem on (i hate trems). never had any problem with strings breaking at the nut, or tuning problems. what have you got to loose, if the holes are through the neck already?

you could also always have a shop make you a nut to fit that size, out of micarta or brass.

Back