Vintage Shure 55SW the good, the bad, and in between?

bennie08

There's a guy who is closing his store due to retirement and he is selling the Shure 55SW (original) and wants $150. It's in very good condition, but I'm uneasy about the price. What do you guys think, is it worth it? I understand that is has the odd 3 pin design, which I believe can be swapped out to the regular XLR. Any further information would be great I checked other places and they don't fill in the gaps.

Thanks!

They look good but I never liked them much, for $150 you could buy an SM58 that would sound a lot better, but does not have the looks. Depends why you want it?

You can still buy the connectors for them and make up a lead with the mic connector one end and an XLR on the other.

Alan.

It's a very ordinary old-style dynamic. You can do better with plenty of currently available dynamics, unless you need vintage vibe. OK, I've got a circa 1943 55C, and it sucks, but it was used by Doris Day and Roy Rogers. But- I consider it a collectible antique more than a mic.

Thanks for the replies here, I'm glad I didn't get my hopes to high about it. The look of the mic is what got me, but as you all seem to agree a little to much.

Back