Vintage Recoding Gear

analog4

Hi,

I'm planning a modest 8 Track demo room and would like to find
some vintage recording gear, such as an old spring-coil reverb unit...

Any idea where I could look?????

Graham.

gets harder every day

ebay is really bad for buyers (great for sellers!), but you can still find stuff if you spend a lot of time.

musicgoround.com has some nice things, sometimes for well below the ebay value, but it gets pretty farmed out too.

other than that sometimes digibid.com works, but it looks like that site is sort of shutting down.

a trick that i use is just searching for the name of the item i am looking for in google and include the word sale. i have found some pretty good deals this way. so type in- if you are looking for a good reverb "akg bx20 sale", which by the way gets you nothing right now. however typing in akg bx10 gets you http://www.audiovillage.org/gear.html

I just picked up a fostex spring stereo reverb for aboout 60.00
bucks off ebay model #3180.
I bought it so I could have a 100 % way of recording analog.

I havnt done a lot with it yet but for a cheap spring reverb it sounds pretty good.

Try one of those "Old fashioned" TV repair shops, you know the ones with the little old man with thick glasses. Sometimes some of those old timers have some incredable "junk" laying around in the back room someplace collecting dust. Locate a few in the phone book and check them out, you might just hit the jackpot and get some great stuff at a great price. Sometimes you can even find "obsolete" gear (everything is digital now) at almost give away prices, after all those guys don't want that junk laying around in the way for another twenty years or so.

Ebay's a great resource for this kind of thing,...

and I have also gotten many great pieces of gear, often at great low prices. [$26 for my Fostex 3180, nyah nyah, haha]. However, try not to get too attached to one piece of auctioned gear, otherwise in the excitement of the moment, you'll get into a bidding war on something, and possibly end up paying way too much for an item. I've seen this happen many times, so don't get carried away on bidding, and be patient, because if you lose one auction, another one will come along that's to your liking.

I have many examples of this, f/i, I payed $77 for a Tascam PE-40, then the following week, I saw the PE-40 bid up to $165, in a bidding frenzy. The following week after that, I scored another mint PE-40 for $59. I'm full of stories like that, but one will suffice.

That's just an example, and your bids will vary, but the point is to not let your emotions get a hold of you, and don't get sucked into a bidding war,... unless you're sure this is a one-of-a-kind item that you must have at any price.

Beyond Ebay, sometimes your neighborhood pawn shop can have a few choice pieces of audio gear. Here in L.A., as in Hollywood, there's pro-audio gear places on every other block, and a significant number of "studio outlets" for TONS of used gear. I've been to a number of these shops, and have been no less than amazed at the amount of surplus analog audio gear that's just sitting, collecting dust. If you could see what I have seen, it would probably blow your mind, but that's Hollywood for'ya. Other major cities with media centers may have similar surplussed stuff like what I've found just scrounging in L.A.

Otherwise, for the most part, it's Ebay for me.;)

I agree 170.00 is way to much for this reverb but if your trying to
just record in all analog its not to bad for what I paid for it.

Its a vintage thing I guess and isnt it funny how they still put
this type of reverb in a lot of guitar amps today?

Yeah Herm, your price for the 3180 was fair,...

and I just got the "sleeper" deal of he day.

It's almost incredible, that just as I was posting on the 3180 and stuff bidding up sky-high on Ebay, this 3180 bid up to $170, in almost the same scenario that I was describing.

$60 is a fair price for this type of vintage gear, and if I were to bid, $60 would have been roughly what my max bid would be, maybe $70. For a reasonably low price, the 3180's a pretty good piece of gear, and I agree that it's a "vintage-thing" that drives this type of purchase. Bid prices on this type of gear will vary, depending on the day.;)

Back