Vintage Club 50 impedance and other things

tourettes5139

Hey all,

I have an all Vintage Club 50 3x10 combo amp. I've been toying with the idea of pulling the amp electronics and making a head out of it. The one concern I have is that there are 3 10" speakers in there rated at 16 ohms each, wired in parallel, which comes to an impedence of ~5.33 ohms (if I did the calculations right). I'm guessing that the amp's electronics are expecting an optimum load of 4 ohms. Does this sound right, or do you think that it is 8 ohms? I'm not sure, and I don't know of any way to test it.

Also, what is the standard way to actually make the bias adjustment? (just out of curiousity) Is there a pot or something that actually adjusts the voltage? Cellerdwellars question about bias pots (or, I guess, the lack thereof) in mesa's got me thinking.

Thanks!! :D

Dont know about your amp specifically, but a load of 4 or 8 ohms would probably be fine. I would go with the 8 ohm load if forced to decide. Its possible the output transformer is wound specifically for a 5ohm load.

You'll have to examine the circuit to see if there is a bias adjustment pot. If you can find a schematic, have a look.

Be safe, and dont mess around in there if you dont know how to discharge the power supply capacitors. Read all the safety stuff about amp work before you get going.

savageblues said:
Dont know about your amp specifically, but a load of 4 or 8 ohms would probably be fine. I would go with the 8 ohm load if forced to decide. Its possible the output transformer is wound specifically for a 5ohm load.

You'll have to examine the circuit to see if there is a bias adjustment pot. If you can find a schematic, have a look.

Be safe, and dont mess around in there if you dont know how to discharge the power supply capacitors. Read all the safety stuff about amp work before you get going.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, cool, so 4 or 8 ohms would be ok? I guess I was just asking it as a general question about impedence and whatnot.

If there isn't a pot, how would one actually adjust the voltage?

I don't really plan on doing it myself; I don't know nearly enough to be comfortable with it at this point, maybe in a while, but not quite yet.

Thanks for the safety tips, as well.

Back