Vintage 70s American Strat

Soundmind??

Stopped by GC today and found this on sale. Played beautifully and in mint condition. Got it for under $800 bucks with hard case, embossed custom strap, cable, etc. Asked why it is on sale and they said it was old stock...the tags and paperwork were dated 2002. This thing is beautiful and plays like a dream...I'm only a beginner, but it felt soooo good. Their site advertises 70s stats for $700,but I'm guessing they are mexi or china models. The Fender site prices it at $1850. I have a mexi strat, and it doesn't compare. The model # on the paperwork matches the fender site. Should I be nerveous about a switcheroo and how do I verify the real value. The $700 one looks just like the $1800, but there are no photos of the back of the cheapo. The neck on mine has a dark stripe down the center of the back. Is that a way to be sure. I don't know why I'm suspicious. I cant find a model # on the guitar, just the serial that matches the paperwork. Am I being paranoid....or what? I plays sooo good.

Stopped by GC today and found this on sale. Played beautifully and in mint condition. Got it for under $800 bucks with hard case, embossed custom strap, cable, etc. Asked why it is on sale and they said.....
Glad you lucked out and you're happy with your purchase.

GC employees say a lot of things......mostly bullshit.

I don't get it. Is it a vintage '70's Strat or one that was made in 2002?

Sorry, meant 70's re-issue. I knew it wasn't a vintage, just wanted to see if there was a way to be sure. The tag said it retailed for $1899 and normally sold for $1499. The fender web site has it priced at $1849. The guy I bought it from is a good guitarist and has been honest with me in the past. I usually verify prices on web sites from competitors before I buy, but didn't have time to yesterday. I've bought several "clearance" guits there before and they have been honest with the pricing. A $1500 guit for $780 just seemed too good to pass up.

I have a 2002 70's re-issue Strat (Sunburst). When they first came out, I believe list was about $1800 but street was between $1200 and $1400.

I think I paid $1000 for mine (it was maybe 1 year slightly used on con-signment, but in great condition). It plays great, feels great, sounds great and looks great. (I traded a couple of $400 guitars so I only paid $200 out of pocket).

The re-issues came with paperwork and a "retro" tweed hardshell case (both of which in theory add to the long term value of the guitar).

If you got one for under $800 I would think that is a decent price. Even if you did not get the papers and the retro case, a quality American made Strat for under $800 is a good price in my book.

I have a 2002 70's re-issue Strat (Sunburst). When they first came out, I believe list was about $1800 but street was between $1200 and $1400.

I got the paperwork and all the goodies but the case is black. Sounds like the same model. As I said, It plays soooo well. No work at all to fret the strings, no buzz, awesome sound. It's definitely American. I couldn't pass it up. I agree that it doesn't matter where it is made as long as it plays good. Honestly, I have a mexi strat thats sells for the same price without the hard case, custom strap, etc and it doesn't compare in playability.

Back