Vintage 30's???

DTBlalock

Well I have taken a step up to a Crate Blue Voodoo tube head. However, I still am using a Behringer cabinet. I have heard from numerous people that Vintage 30's will make your head sound so much better and also louder. Is it worth it to buy a cabinet equipped with these over Jensen speakers? I'm looking into the Orange 412 or the Mesa Boogie Rectifier 412. Suggestions?

DTBlalock said:
Well I have taken a step up to a Crate Blue Voodoo tube head. However, I still am using a Behringer cabinet. I have heard from numerous people that Vintage 30's will make your head sound so much better and also louder. Is it worth it to buy a cabinet equipped with these over Jensen speakers? I'm looking into the Orange 412 or the Mesa Boogie Rectifier 412. Suggestions?

What Jensens?

Alnico maget Jensens are some of my favorite for clean sounds.

As for "better" and "louder", those terms are BS. Not everyone likes every speaker.

Both Celestion Greenbacks and Vintage 30's are famous, but neither is swapable with each other because 30's are more bassy and Greenbacks are mid-y.

Plus, famous people that used "30's" back in the day used the G12H-30 (forgive me if I got a letter wrong in there). The Vintage 30 was supposed to be a re-issue, but they raised the power rating to 60 watts. Then they released the afformentioned speaker at original (or as close as any re-issue can be these days) specs. Supposedly the G12H-30 has more highs with the lows. Go figure. Its a mind fuck and you just have to find what sounds right by playing them.

:D

(my eventual goal is to have 212 cabs laoded with 2 of every speaker.) ;)

Yes, the reissue vintage 30s are 60 watts. I had 2 Marshall 4x12 cabinets, one with vintage 30s. I traded both and paid a bit to get my Mesa 4x12 cab.

Depends what tone you are going for, I wanted a thick responsive tone with good bass and a punchy lower midrange. My Marshall cabinets had more of a "nasal" "buzzy" tone to them which suits more traditional rock type sounds but kind of mudded up my sound.

Like I said, it depends what you're going for. I say take your head to the nearest Mesa and Marshall dealer and give both cabinets a try.

Back