Video card question...

Promythia

Hope this is the right section, but I'm not finding anything searching on a search engine or on here...

Basically, I'm trying to find the cheapest PCI-e card that will support dual wide screen monitors. Anyone know of one? I find some cards that have both VGA and DVI outputs on them, but can't get any help from computer forums as to if I could do dual WS with these options. Help!

Thanks!

yeah, if it's got DVI and VGA outs on them then it will probably most likely support dual monitors. If both of your monitors have VGA connections, then you'll need to get a DVI/VGA adapter.

most (if not all) cards with DVI output can run two monitors off of a single port. you just need a Y adapter. find a cheapie ATI and check the specs, chances are it can do it.

Doesn't a splitter cable just display the same thing on two monitors? I'll look into it though, thanks for the help!

Most any video card with dual monitor support should be fine to do what you want. Take your pick, there are many to choose from. Get a card with at least 256 megs of ram which is pretty much the standard.

Last edited:
Rick Shepherd said:
Most any video card with dual monitor support should be fine to do what you want. Take your pick, there are many to choose from. Get a card with at least 256 megs of ram which is pretty much the standard.

ram on a videocard is the last thing you want to look at. There are plenty of 128mb cards on the market that will knock the socks off of 256mb cards. If you aren't a gamer, look for dual monitor capability within your budget, then compare coreclocks and pixel pipelines as well as resolution information THEN ram.

Right, dual monitor support means two connectors for two monitors, that is what I said. They have been making them for a number of years now. I have used matrox, nvidia, ati, etc. based chipset dual video cards for quite a while doing just the same thing you want to do. So what is the big secret, lots available to choose from. Most of the pci-e cards are going to be 128 megs and upward from there, you aren't going to save much chosing a 128 meg card over a 256 meg pci-e card, so why not choose the one with more ram? All other things considered, you aren't going to notice the difference if you choose say an Nvidia vs ATI image quality. I wouldn't get caught up in trying to distinguish the fine details between cards, there is too much competition in the technology to worry about it.

Thanks again for the help. I ended up buying a nVidia 6200 TurboThread... it was the cheapest thing in PCI-e format on pricewatch.com ($38). According to nVidia it will support dual wide screen's. I've heard pretty mixed reviews on it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks!

Back