Video card is killing editing. Need new card

Freudian Slip

OK Guys. Hear is my set up. Windows 98, 1ghz p3, layla 24/96 cake walk pro suite 9.0, ect.

when I built this computer I used my old video card. It was a nvidia tnt 128 agp with 16mb vid mem. All was well. Now it has taken a dump. I am using the stock built in video card for now.
Boy what a drag. My scrub tool is useless. it hops from point to point just like the video does. I would not have thought it would be so tied together but it is.

Any way I need to know what you guys think is a good replacement for my old card. I don't want to spend a fortune and I really do not need open GL but would not mind it. I really just want a very stable work horse. And I want it to be smooooth like my old card. no jumping to kill my edit powers.

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks
Dave
Freudian Slip

I have a lot of success with TNT2 cards, on the mighty Slack's suggestion. A 32MB TNT2 card is, like, $30 or something... and it has open GL and every other forking thing too.

xoxo

You can also jump on an entry GeForce2 for under 100 bucks. A GeForce2 32MB DDR is killer. Might be overkill though if you thought your Riva 128 was fast.

Slackmaster 2000

Riva 128

I am surprised that that card was still working for you. The stock graphics card on most machines in a tnt2. I would definitely go with at least a Geforce2.

Kitwell

thanks guys for the advise

I am looking at a asus Gforce 32mb for about $125 I have heard they are stable and it is cheaper than some of the other gamer brands.

What's the big deal with video cards in a recording machine?
I'm not challenging, just curious about the references made to open GL and GeForce. I thought these were 3D gaming cards for the most part.

I just got one of the cheapie 64meg geforce 2 cards for my "Quake machine", but why would I want more than some 16bit junk card for my DAW?

Clue me in. :confused:

I would just go for the Matrox G450. Stable, excellend support. It does OpenGL but is no gaming card like the nVidias. It does come with the dualhead support though (2 monitors).

Getuhgrip & brzilian

for Getuhgrip: I think that having enough memory to handle all of the scroling graphics and plenty of stability are the two things you have to have.

You need to be able to see exactly where you are at at the time you hear the spot you want to cutt in when you are editing. when the graphics or the line going over the graphics is jumping in steps you can not do it.

The worst is that my scrub tool that you can drag slowly across the wave form to really pin a spot down does not work. The sound jumps with the graphics. This is only becaus I am using a onboard graphics card because my agp card went TU. I had a TNT 128 and it worked great.

brzilian: I had a matrox card once (top notch for its day) and it was very stable. I might look around for one. Thanks....

For audio Matrox 450 32 meg is the choice of many, depending on what audio program your using the duel head is pretty damn helpfull. I could not imagine running PARIS or Logic with one monitor.. Matrox also has the least amount of conflict problems with audio programs..

I'd go with a good TNT2 over a GeForce2 MX. The MX actually doesn't perform as well as the TNT2.

But definitely, if you're not going to play games on the machine, think about the Matrox. I haven't owned a Matrox card myself, but they're supposed to deliver incredibly clear 2D at high resolutions.

Ya know I play Everquest with my Matrox 450 and it runs smooth as hell though.. I also play Halflife and Counterstrike with it and have great graphics and no framerate problems and both can be quite graphic intensive..

I've been happy with ATI video cards. Their cards have the best 2d support. Lots of little toys for Mpeg compression and the such and video capture on alot of cards.

They are not just built for 3d proformace like most cards today they have good drivers and proformace the whole way around.

... But ATI cards have a reputation for terrible driver support!

Also, they recently cheated to increase benchmark scores in Quake 3. That's no good.

Yes, they are terrible with driver support. I waited well over a year for drivers and the Multimedia Center app to be released for my All in Wonder 128 for Win2k. Meanwhile, they released the All in Wonder Radeon with full Win2k support while I was waiting. Situations like that kinda make it easy to never consider an ATI product ever again...

Yea but once they get the drivers out of the wood work they are usually pretty stable.

I have the same card running under win2k, they were alittle slow getting the win2k software out but the drivers themselves have been out for a long time.

Garak said:
Yea but once they get the drivers out of the wood work they are usually pretty stable.

I have the same card running under win2k, they were alittle slow getting the win2k software out but the drivers themselves have been out for a long time.

I agree on the driver part, but the AIW 128 is pretty much useless unless you have the TV tuner, DVD and video capture functionality. :(

I also had problems when DirectX 8 was released - the TV tuner stopped working all together until ATI released an updated driver. My friend who has the same card also ran into the same problems with Dx 8.

Hmmmmmm

more food for thought. I have thought of getting a card with a TV tuner but am hesitant because it is one more thing to go wrong??

I assume that the tv tuners work with cable but not satalite???

My main drive of course is high stability and great 2d performance. I do have a lcd projector and a force feedback wheel I would not mind setting up once in a while.

What A Kick that is!

So open GL is a bonus at the right price.

FS

Back