VIA Chipset - Pops and Clicks Nightmare

Scheisskopf99

When recording on my computer there are many annoying pops and clicks. I've read about this happening with some VIA chipset motherboards.

Is there any way to alleve this most annoying problem?

I've read some tips about how to eliminate or minimize this problem, but none worked for me. It came down to a single piece of hardware that apparently caused the problem - my SB Live! sound card. I wasn't even using it for the recording (I have a MOTU 1224), but as long as that card was in there I got all kind of pops and clicks. I'm back to using an AWE64 Gold and everything's fine. Somebody in another thread suggested that PCI sound cards can cause noise on the PCI bus like that, so maybe that's something for you to consider. If you can't find any useful tips for fixing the problem I'd take out your other cards and see if that eliminates the problem. If it does, then you can put cards back in one at a time and figure out which one causes the noise. (Just disabling things in the device manager is not the same.)

I had a simular problem turned out to be software related.
Are you using an older version of logic-if so,update to a newerone this can be done for free at the emagic site

My sound card worked perfect on everything except an older version of logic!!If you are not even using logic you can dissregard this I guess.

It could even be the soundcard but.What brand is it?

Likewise I use a VIA chipset with no problems.

Check in the Cakewalk section, look for postings over the last 10 days by Goodrat. He traced his problem to trying to record on a Creative PCI sound card at 44.1. When he switched to 48 the problem went away.

Also check a posting by me in this section about 10 days ago called "PCI/ISA question..."

Back