vf80 as pc input?

aprilchangedme

Ok. So I cannot afford to buy the cd1a at its stunningly high price, but i really want to work on the computer. I invested in the edirol ua-1d (sp/dif to usb) over a year ago, and have been using that to create digital copies onto my computer. People have said that you can only send two tracks at a time (and maybe they mean as *individual* tracks), but i can actually much mix all of my faders live right to one .aiff or .wav file. Now obviously this cuts out the biggest benefit of the pc: editing tracks. So i was thinking, and i haven't seen this posted anywhere...Would it be nonsensicle to use this hook up to my advantage by using my fostex as my input bay and recording live into the computer through it each track at a time? This would allow me to have full flexibility, record to my fostex, and also export individual tracks to the pc all in one shot. I could use my vf80 for drafts, sketches, ideas and all...and then this possible computer set up for the real deal. I haven't seen anyone post anything like this before. What do you think??? Sure seems like it would beat spending all that time exporting two tracks at a time after the fact...

might work - try it
personally, you might as well get rid of the vf80 and buy a firewire or usb audio interface if you are using the computer that much.

Tube

aprilchangedme said:
Ok. So I cannot afford to buy the cd1a at its stunningly high price, but i really want to work on the computer. I invested in the edirol ua-1d (sp/dif to usb) over a year ago, and have been using that to create digital copies onto my computer. People have said that you can only send two tracks at a time (and maybe they mean as *individual* tracks), but i can actually much mix all of my faders live right to one .aiff or .wav file. Now obviously this cuts out the biggest benefit of the pc: editing tracks. So i was thinking, and i haven't seen this posted anywhere...Would it be nonsensicle to use this hook up to my advantage by using my fostex as my input bay and recording live into the computer through it each track at a time? This would allow me to have full flexibility, record to my fostex, and also export individual tracks to the pc all in one shot. I could use my vf80 for drafts, sketches, ideas and all...and then this possible computer set up for the real deal. I haven't seen anyone post anything like this before. What do you think??? Sure seems like it would beat spending all that time exporting two tracks at a time after the fact...

I don't think it will work very well. If you have usb, why can't you export the individual tracks to the pc? It seems to me that you are missing a very important element: software. You never mentioned if you had any. If you do, and since you have the usb device, why not send your tracks as .wav files individually to your pc in a folder (they can be labeled "track 1" or "track one", whatever) and then import them into your software and mix that way. There are lots of reasons your method may not work. The least of which is the way you connect to your pc. If you use the line in on your sound card and record each track and save it as a .wav file, you may have troubles sinc'ing them up, for example (if you have the software). Does the vf80 have the ability to export the individual tracks as .wav? You may be able to do it that way with the edirol ua-1d you mentioned. I would look at that before I tried to use my digital recorder as a mixing board. If it works, great. But I have my doubts.

Back