vf160ex

Modern_Talking

question . . .

we have 8 direct tracks (no effects or eq's etc) recorded on the recorder. we have also backed up thoese individual tracks onto cd . . . .

question. is it possible to send all those individual tracks into the mixing board so that we can apply effects, eq's and then do a 2 track mix down. . . .

we don't like the built in effects or tools on the recoder. we like to use the external effects . . . .

there are no direct out jacks on the back of the unit. only stereo outs.
is it possible to have direct outs or individual outs on the vf160ex through some kind of device hooking onto the vf160ex or ?????? . . . . .

thanks. . .

Yes you can have 8 direct outs if you buy a A/D/A unit like the Behringer ADA 8000. It got a good review in Sound on Sound not long ago. It's budget, but seems to work. I haven't used one, but it gets decent comments on various Fos. forums. In fact I'm thinking about buying one so I can use external EQ (or should I just get a Yamaha or Korg machine?)

Orc

carelessorc said:
Yes you can have 8 direct outs if you buy a A/D/A unit like the Behringer ADA 8000. It got a good review in Sound on Sound not long ago. It's budget, but seems to work. I haven't used one, but it gets decent comments on various Fos. forums. In fact I'm thinking about buying one so I can use external EQ (or should I just get a Yamaha or Korg machine?)

Orc
If Yamaha's A/D/A converters are anything like their mixers, I'd say look into them. The MG series is pretty nice for a bargain mixer. Decent pre amps and not a lot of noise (there is still some, but you pay less than $100 US for the 10/2)...

carelessorc said:

Orc

perfect . . . . that's what i need to know . . . I actually have one and using it with the vf160ex . . . as you can see the unit only has 8 input connectors. sometimes i need to record more than 8 tracks at the same time, so that's why i got the ada 8000 . . . .

anyhoo . . . good to hear that it can work that way too . . how about 16 direct outs. can that be achived. . . usually i have like 12 tracks playing then i can use external eq/effects and mix down to 2 tracks.
i guess if i get another ada8000 and try to hook up both so that i could get 16 outs, that would be cool . . . . if so, how does one go about hooking them up. hope its not too complicated to get 16 direct outs from the vf160ex.

appreciate the reply. peace bro . . .

You cant get 16 out. With the VF you can only get 8 out with adat.

But you can get a total of 12

8 by adat

2 by using Aux 1 and Aux 2 (set Aux1 for any channel fron 9 to 16. Then set the level to around 85 and put in pfl mode. do the same for aux 2)

2 by using the main out L and R (you will have to use the faders to set the levels and pan the 2 whannels you are using hard l and r)

If you want you can record back into the VF from your soundboard.
Keep in mind that you cant mointor from if because you are using the main l and r outs to go into your external mixer.

timboZ said:
You cant get 16 out. With the VF you can only get 8 out with adat.

But you can get a total of 12

8 by adat

2 by using Aux 1 and Aux 2 (set Aux1 for any channel fron 9 to 16. Then set the level to around 85 and put in pfl mode. do the same for aux 2)

2 by using the main out L and R (you will have to use the faders to set the levels and pan the 2 whannels you are using hard l and r)

If you want you can record back into the VF from your soundboard.
Keep in mind that you cant mointor from if because you are using the main l and r outs to go into your external mixer.

excellent bro! . . . . 12 is more than enough for me . . . i havn't gone so far as more than 12 tracks and that too most of the time it's about 9 tracks.
but those are great suggestion in getting 12 outs, out of the vf . . .
thanks . .
1 more . . on the back of the ada8000 i have adat in and out. my existing adat i connect one end of the cable to ADAT OUT on the vf and the other end to ADAT IN on the 8000.
and how about this . . . if i get a 2nd 8000 and connect the 1st 8000's ADAT OUT to the 2nd 8000's ADAT IN . . . . (like a daisy chain) . . would that work as to getting 16 outs or it can't be done. . . only 8 outs from the adat and 2 from aux1 & 2 and 2 from main outs is poissible.
either the case. . . 12 outs is all i really need and i'm happy with that above configuration.
thanks.

You cant dasy chain them. The fostex only supports 8 out with adat.
Also you have to setup the fostex for adat out mode.

One more thing about the ADA8000...

The ADA8000 is about the best $200 I've spent on my studio.

One great feature is that it supports simultaneous ADAT In and Out. When tracking live bands, this is a HUGE help. For example, when tracking my band in our rehearsal/recording space, I use the ADA8000 to not only record 8 additional tracks, but I also send up to 8 channels from my VF-16 to the ADA8000, which then gets sent to either my PA system or a headphone amp. And there's about zero latency. Pretty slick.

HTH,

ray

question about ADA8000

I've nearly filled the hard drive on my VF16. To this point, I've dumped tracks to a bandmates ADAT. I'd like to be able to save tracks and burn cds on my own gear.

Can this be done: record to my VF16, then output through an ADA8000 or similar piece of gear into my PowerBook to save the tracks. Essentially using the vf16 as a recorder only and the PowerBook as a storage unit and cd burner. I'd like to be able to save the individual pre-mix tracks in case I'd like to modify them at a later date.

Or, could this transfer be accomplished via MIDI, or some other way?

Thanks to anyone who can help me through the technological fog.

What inputs do you have on the PowerBook - ADAT? multiple analogue ins?
If neither, the easiest way to transfer tracks is probably with a Zip drive.
You cannot transfer audio data over MIDI.

Presumably you have some software for mixing your tracks on PC?

Orc

Or...

If the problem is simply that you've run out of space and you don't want to delete anything off the hard drive in your VF-16....

You could just buy and install another (larger) hard drive for your VF-16. If you need to use tracks on the old hard drive, then just re-install it. It's a pretty straight-forward process.

Orc is right - the ADA8000 doesn't help you, unless you have an external soundcard for your Powerbook that has 8 analogue inputs.

-ray

thanks for the help

Thanks Orc and Ray. There's so much gear out there that it's sometimes hard to know what does what. I've got a bunch of stuff that is a mixture of older technology (VF16) and newer stuff (Cubase/ Lexicon Omega). My PowerBook probably falls somewhere in between. I'm just trying to find an efficient way to get them all to communicate with each other.

So you DO have an external soundcard....

Okay, from what I gathered from your latest response, it sounds like you DO have an external soundcard (Lexicon Omega) for your Powerbook. That's an important piece of info that you hadn't mentioned.

From what I can tell, the Omega has 4 1/4" unbalanced analog inputs (what they call "line inputs"; it also has 2 "micorophone" inputs (balanced XLR inputs with a different impedence). I assume, however, that the Omega (and the version of Cubase that it uses) only supports 4 tracks of simultaneous recording.

That said, you could buy an ADA8000 and use it to simultaneously pump 4 tracks from your VF-16 (via the ADAT output), into the ADA8000, and then into your Omega (and thereby into your Powerbook) via the 4 line inputs on the Omega. While not the ideal solution, it's certainly faster than transferring 2 tracks at a time (using the stereo analog output on the VF-16 with each track panned hard left and hard right).

One thing to keep in mind is that the analog outputs on the ADA8000 utilize XLR connectors (either balanced or unbalanced), so you would need to use 4 XLR->1/4" cables if going into the 4 "line" inputs of your Omega.

HTH,

ray

Back