vf160ex mixdown

Modern_Talking

Is there anyway when doing a internal mixdown on the vf160ex to be routed to ch 7 and 8 instead of it always mixing down on ch 1 and 2 . . . .

I would like to use an outboard gear and seems that the insert channels are only on ch 7 and 8 . . . .

Is there any way to mix down on those channels ?

thanks

Yes. You can connect the VF's stereo out to the channel ins and direct record to any pair of channels/tracks (This assumes that those tracks are empty and that during mixdown you keep the channel faders down for those tracks, so your not feeding the stereo output back into itself - bad thing).
The key question is what outboard gear do you want to use? If it's compression or EQ across the whole mix, then you don't need to use the inserts you just plug the outboard between the VF stereo out and channel inputs. If it's reverb or some effect where you want to add different amounts from each track, then you need to use the Aux outs.

Also bear in mind that if you want to burn an audio CD later, you'll have to have the stereo mix on channels one and two - but you could record the mix on any two tracks then use track exchange.

Orc

carelessorc said:
Yes. You can connect the VF's stereo out to the channel ins and direct record to any pair of channels/tracks (This assumes that those tracks are empty and that during mixdown you keep the channel faders down for those tracks, so your not feeding the stereo output back into itself - bad thing).
The key question is what outboard gear do you want to use? If it's compression or EQ across the whole mix, then you don't need to use the inserts you just plug the outboard between the VF stereo out and channel inputs. If it's reverb or some effect where you want to add different amounts from each track, then you need to use the Aux outs.

Also bear in mind that if you want to burn an audio CD later, you'll have to have the stereo mix on channels one and two - but you could record the mix on any two tracks then use track exchange.

Orc

yes the audio will be burnt on a cd so that would mean I would be recording the same song 3 times. The 1st, all tracks from the mixer going into the 160ex and record (everything dry) . Then take the main outs and direct record on ch 15 and 16 that have the insert and my outboard gear hooked up. Then do a final mix down which goes on ch 1 and 2 . . . If this is true, then that would be a lot of work. My outboard gear that I'm connecting to ch 7 and 8 is a Aphex 204 Aural Exciter to add that nice bottom sound to the whole mix and then burn to cd.

The only solution I'm thinking here is that maybe I have do my mixdowns externally on either the computer or another recorder with the 204 exciter inserted between the stereo outs and the recorder.

thanks anyways for the reply.

You're making this harder than it needs to be.
You only need one 'pass' of the song:
You do NOT need the channel inserts to use the Aphex.

1. Make sure that tracks 1 and 2 are empty. If they are not, use 'Track Exchange' to swap 1/2 with two empty tracks.
2. Take the VF main outputs and connect to the Aphex inputs.
3. Take the Aphex outputs and connect to VF inputs 1 and 2
4. Use Direct record to record your mixdown (all tracks) to 1 and 2. (Keep faders down on 1/2 to avoid feedback).
You can now burn the audio CD.

Orc

carelessorc said:
You're making this harder than it needs to be.
You only need one 'pass' of the song:
You do NOT need the channel inserts to use the Aphex.

1. Make sure that tracks 1 and 2 are empty. If they are not, use 'Track Exchange' to swap 1/2 with two empty tracks.
2. Take the VF main outputs and connect to the Aphex inputs.
3. Take the Aphex outputs and connect to VF inputs 1 and 2
4. Use Direct record to record your mixdown (all tracks) to 1 and 2. (Keep faders down on 1/2 to avoid feedback).
You can now burn the audio CD.

Orc

Hi and thank you for the reply . . .

Ok, this is the way I have it connect right now and this is the way i am recording into the vf.

My mixing board has 8 sub outs. Each group on the sub (eg 1&2,3&4,5&6,7&8) also have rack mount units connect to the insert of these channels. (like 1&2 reverb,3&4 E.Q,5&6 rev/dly,7&8 another effect). So on the mixing board I route them to whatever sub ch I want.

Now, from the sub group outs, all 8 outs are going into the 8 input ch on the vf. So, for example, sub 1&2 are carryign the drum sounds only and going into the vf 1 and 2 channels. sub 3&4 carry all the vocal stuff so they are going into the vf 3 and 4 and so on . . .

So, I have all the inputs on the vf connected from the mixer's sub outs and all 8 tracks on the vf are being recorded at the same time with audio from the mixing board.

So, now when everything is recorded, before I do the internal mix down, if a little eq or reverb is needed I use the internal effect.

Now, the reason why I do this is because pretty much all tracks are being recorded indiviudally on the vf. This way, lets say I need the same song to be in a karaoke version, so I don't have to re-record everything. I just disable track 3&4 and do a mixdown and now everything mixes down without the vocals in it. And in this way I can do a backup form the vf onto a cd and later come back and change any instrument or vocals if needed.

But since when I do a mixdown and I see that the mixdown is being down on a new pgm and onto tracks 1 and 2, I just wanted to add a little bottom end to make it mroe sweater, thats why i was thinking if I could get it to record on ch 7 and 8 where the insert are or some other way to get the exciter in.

I hope I made any sence here but this is the way i have it setup.

I'm doing my main balancing,eq and very little effect right on the mixing board before using direct record to do the initial recording. So, yes, all the 8 tracks are being used up on the vf.

Your setup makes good sense, but Inserts on G/H only work on channel inputs, not recorded tracks.
I assume that you end up with 8 recorded tracks, so you have spare tracks for stereo mixes? So you could use the method I outlined above to get the Aphex in the mix.

Orc

carelessorc said:
Your setup makes good sense, but Inserts on G/H only work on channel inputs, not recorded tracks.
I assume that you end up with 8 recorded tracks, so you have spare tracks for stereo mixes? So you could use the method I outlined above to get the Aphex in the mix.

Orc

hello and thanks for all the info's . . . .

I will try what you mentioned above and let you know how I made out . . . .

And yes you were right. . . . Ch 7 and 8's insert can only be used on channel inputs and not recorded tracks. . . . So, that's not going to help me now anyways. . . . So, I guess doing the main stereo outs into the exciter and from there into ch 1 and 2 will do me what I'm looking for. . . .
So thanks for all the replies. . . I post my results as they come along and if I do need any more help . . .

Back