VF160 and ADAT device

msr001

I've got a Fostex VF160EX and am wondering if anyone knows if a PreSonus Digimax D8 preamp will work with it using the ADAT lightpipe input. I know a Beheringer ADA8000 is supposed to work, but the Presonus has much better preamps. Thanks for any help.

msr:)

If one has the ADAT out and the recorder has ADAT in the only question is which is the clock master (typically that might be the preamp-a/d converter.

ADAT device

Yes, the DigiMax has an internal sample rate of either 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz and a reported bit depth of 24. However the VF160EX (the recording device) has a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz and a reported "quantization" of 16 bit linear (non expanded). I am just not sure if the VF160EX will accept a 24 bit input. Internally, the VF160EX has 24 bit D/A converters and 20 bit A/D converters.

msr

..and a reported "quantization" of 16 bit linear (non expanded). I am just not sure if the VF160EX will accept a 24 bit input. Internally, the VF160EX has 24 bit D/A converters and 20 bit A/D converters.

msr
.."quantization" of 16 bit linear (non expanded)?

My guess is it would lop off the lower eight bits, but you want to know before $$..
Someone here knows.. :)

I'd bet money it would work fine.

I had a VF-16 then a VF160, and used the Behringer with it, but there's no reason any other Adat unit wouldn't work. The Fostex will just ignore the low bits.

Buy one from someone who'll take a return, if you're worried. Or buy on eBay, then sell on eBay if it doesn't work!

Back