VF16/160 users - would you buy something else?

mrx

After researching the new Korg and Tascam units, I've all but decided to go with a VF160EX. One question: If your VF16/160 was stolen, would you replace it or buy something else (and if so, what?)

Thanks!

I would certainly replace it. I think it's easy to use, (easier to learn than the Yamaha MD8 I had before), and it's reliable.

I also think that computers don't deliver on their promise, and anyway by the time you buy the PC and decent software and effects, it's really expensive.

Anyway, if yu do go to computer later you can still use the Fozzie as a front-end (mic-pre's and MIDI remote control) connected by an ADAT cable.

'Orc

I agree totally on the PC aspect - tracking to a PC has never been worth the hassle. In terms of competition to the VF160, the Tascam 2488 and Korg XD machines offer 24 bit, but until my 16 bit stuff sounds closer to the radio I see no reason to go to 24. The Zoom and Boss units have drum machines built in, but that seems to make them come across like toys. I don't think I've heard anyone on this forum complain about a VF16/160.

Yes!

The capability to record up to 10 channels simultaneously (8 analog + 2 channels from S/PDIF source) "out-of-the-box", and 16 simultaneous channels with the $200 addition of an inexpensive Behringer ADA8000, makes it unbeatable under $2000 for me. I set up for live 8/10 channel recording from mixer insert sends and instrument amp sends in less than 10 minutes and break down and bag it in even less time. The thing runs and runs and runs and runs . . .and then runs some more. With the software upgrades, it's actually better and has more features than when I bought it! I love the ADAT lightpipe I/O. Really tough to beat price/performance/sound/ease-of-use/reliability/expandability/portability. It's not perfect but it's a real-deal working recorder.

Paj
8^)

P.S.: Good users groups

Last edited:
I think the VF160EX at $899. is a great buy. The TASCAM would be intriguing though, because of the extra tracks, and more effects options, I think (though I'd wait until all the new machine bugs were worked out).

I happen to have a SACD/DVD-AUDIO player. DVD-AUDIO is a 96KHZ 24bit medium that plays at that spec. I don't think I'll be buying any more SACD/DVDAUDIO discs. I just don't hear an appreciable difference that says, "Wow! This is a real improvement!" Truthfully, no one I've played the higher end discs has heard any difference. Plus I have older 16bit recordings that just sound better than some stereo SACD/DVD-AUDIO discs. Case in point: Patricia Barber's early 90's discs sound phenomenal against anything. Peter Gabriel's UP is a nice disc that sounds great in standard CD and in SACD format. Perhaps one could hear a difference, but you'd have to show that it wasn't due to a different mastering for each format. Some SACD's were mastered differently (some say hyped) to enable folks to hear a difference...

This is all to say that I don't believe 24bit is the promised land of recording. I wouldn't avoid it, but I think there's a whole world of recording out there that wouldn't benefit from the increased resolution. It's like amps that have .0001% distortion as opposed to .001%. Can you hear the difference?

mrx said:
I agree totally on the PC aspect - tracking to a PC has never been worth the hassle.

I complete agree with you. You should see my "MR8 limitations is frustrating" thread again. Everyone has been almost hassling me (it seems) to use N-Tracks to do all my mastering and mixing. Everyone rambles on about effects, compression and 88-tracks that N-tracks uses. I HAVE NO NEED FOR ALL THAT CRAP. People just don't seem to get it, I would be perfectly happy with a little fostex box then slouching over a PC all night trying to get this "perfect sound" thru effects. If the music is good and it sounds good, then who the hell cares. That's why professional studios exist =)

AB,

My point was in regards to recording on a PC - I've had too many experiences where levels are whacked, drop-outs wreck the take, mouse cord gets caught in guitar wtrings - whatever, it's a nightmare.

I still disagree regarding the mixing/mastering aspect. For one simple example, I had a track with multiple vocal takes where pieces of each take were required to make one acceptable track. I could have comped it together on the recorder, but in n-Track I was able to simply draw volume envelopes over each track and be done with it - once saved, that 'automated' mix was always there.

The problem with the MR-8, where I feel your pain, is that it's not possible to track an entire project without copying to the computer. With the VF160 there's room to work on the actual 'recording' and 'playing' aspect of a song until all that remains is the mixing/mastering (most of which could still be done on the VF.)

I contacted a mail order place in town to see about picking one up (instead of waiting for delivery) and got no response - business must be good.

Later.

Back