VF-80 Track Sheets

a12stringer

I am attempting one more time to post the track log sheet and mixdown/mastering log sheet I developed for the VF-80. Let me know what you think by posting your response to this thread.

Attachments

• VF-80 Track Sheet.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 248
Hi, 12 stringer, nice sheets. I am beginning to realize the more you document the better the wisdom you have when it comes time to really clean up, mix and master. I am getting some really good demos with my VFO8 but have yet to burn a CD. These sheets simplify many scenes and allow you to see what is on all the tracks at the same time, a nice consequence. Well, keep up the good work, fine tuning it all the time, Psongman

hello fostex vf80 users!

this isn't a direct response but no-one's replied to a query i posted last week & you guys seem to be only vf 80 users on forum...

just got to the internal mastering and cd burning phase of things and having a spot of bother. when i try to burn off audio to the cd it only seems to register the actual length of the track and not record any audio. when i put the burnt cd in any player it shows the number of tracks and their length but is completely silent!

reloading the tracks into the recorder also has the same results so i know it's not a problem with cd players i'm using. the cd works perfectly well in saving programs in both the fostex format and as wav files and reloads both as well.

have gone through the internal mastering process several times as well to make sure it's not a problem way back in the process.

any clues?

sorry for butting in!

fancy fancy
I have to confess that I'm not the best on this forum when it comes to troubleshooting. Billisa is really the goto person for that sort of technical advice in my experience.
All I know is that when I do the mixdown and mastering processes I keep the manual handy with the pages bookmarked. One of these days I will probably sitdown and do a mastering checklist for the technically challenged like myself.

reloading the tracks into the recorder also has the same results .

What does this mean? Why would you have to "reload." Are you sure the cd you are burning is seated properly in the drive of the vf80? You'll notice you have to kind of push until it snaps into place. I had your problem once at the beginning but it was a mechanical, not an electrocni problem.

Are you positive you are burning a mastered file?

Are you positive you are burning to a writable blank CD?

FANCY: well, you may or may not already know this, but your problem lies here, i believe.

first:
you have to mix everything down to tracks 1&2... because only these tracks are burned to the cd. (one left, one right) so if your song was on 7&8, or something else, then that's why it was blank... also, as mentioned above, this problem would've been solved by mastering the track cuz it makes a new song with everything on 1&2. (doesn't have to be mastered though)

secondly:
once you've done that, then you have to copy and paste tracks 1&2 on top of itself... check your manual, but basically you paste them starting 00:00:00 to the end point, say 04:33:00... that tells the vf80 that that is where your song is...

thricely:
and then delete everything after 04:33:00 to make sure that there's no excess stuff after where the song should end.

so now you should have your entire song on tracks 1&2 and have them between 00:00:00 and 04:33:00... once you burn that, it should come out fine. that's how it says to do it in the manual.. but if i'm wrong lemme know cuz i'm saying that from memory.
later
-dan

i've made quite a few coasters myself because of me messing up those 3 things...

also, i figured this would be obvious but i should say it anyways... mix/bounce everything onto tracks 7&8 first, then master it to make a new song with everything on tracks 1&2. that was all part of step 1... then do steps 2 and 3 and you're rockin.

i just wanted to be clear
-dan

Recording from tracks 1 & 2 ?

I don't follow what danobi was trying to explain above. I have done a lot of successful recording off my Fostex and As I understand it you:

1) bounce what ever you want to 7 & 8 (not 1 & 2)
2) Master 7 & 8
3) Save selected Masters to disk to make an audio CD.

I had to download this again because I lost the first download. What a great form. I wonder why none of the manufacturers design these.

My computer crashed and I needed to reload these. I'm glad this thread has not been erased from the site. :rolleyes:

Back