VERY SIMPLE! Guitar vocal comments?

ShakesTheClown

2 guitars
Bass
Vocal
Harmony

So a total of only 5 tracks on this one, its just a simple demo song pitch, but I think it does the trick... WARNING ITS COUNTRY ;-) Anyway just looking for some comments on sound and whatever else strikes ya ...

Cody Young,

YMG
http://www.youngmusicgroup.com

I liked it.

I'm sort of new to recording but I like it.

I was trying to listen to see how I would try to impove it, but
is hard since it's a great song.

I really liked the lyrics and melody. I think keyboards string type sounds would make this sound better. Maybe just on the Chorus.

Maybe a little more reverb on the vocals. Shoot I don't know the song sounded great to me.

By the way are you using the Paris system on this?

Yeah its PARIS, just a quick demo thing I needed to come up with. Recorded it in 16/44 and most things were one takes. Mics were AT 4033 and a TLM on the guitars and harmony. I was just looking for a simple yet good way to get the point of the song across. Glad you liked it ;-)

Thanks for the input!

Cody Young,

YMG Studio

"All the power of digital, and the warmth of, , well, , , digital"

I tried a few times to get to it, but it tells me it can't find it. Of course, its pretty late so the server might be down.

The link off your main page didn't work for me either- for both MP3 and Real Audio.

Take care,
Chris

Music city.

It must be nice to have other talent floating around up there.

You don't have to look far to fine things like lead guitar players and backup vocals. Cool.

The Paris system sounded great. Good luck. This should sell.

Are you a performer type or songwriter? Or both?

Not too shabby Cody, cool song very commercial.. For the amount of tracks it sounded pretty full and mixed up good..

Living in Montana I've heard my share of country music. I'd say that the stuff I've heard from you is on par with what I've heard on the radio. This latest song is no exception.

The only thing I'll say about the mix is that it maybe could use some air. It sounds a little too confined. Otherwise very nice...everything blended very nicely.

Good job!

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks for the comment Slack,

I think I over compressed it a little in wavelab and sucked the life out of it ;-) Maybe a little less of that and some eq and it will sound better...

Cody Young,

YMG Studio

Nothing like country harmony. I actually think thats where my music is headed. Shakes- this is missing only 1 thing....Pedal steel guitar! Oh yeah, I was wantin' to hear it in there!

Hey, I'm coming down there this summer, better get that town ready for me:)!

H2H

Very nice song, Shakes. Beautiful sounding lead vocal (nit: it wavered a bit on the transition from the verse to chorus). I liked the bass guitar a lot. The rhythm guitar had a nice tone to complement the bass, but I'd like a little more drive on the rhythm. Lead guitar was a tad aimless and I'm not sure what kind of sound you were going for; it sounded almost like a banjo.

Very nice.

Hey Hard2Hear if you do stop down feel free to let me know i'll show ya around and the studio.. I think I am going to recut this as a full demo with fiddle, steel, mandolin and drums added.. ;-) yeah its screaming for steel...

Lil Slim,

The guy that played lead listened through like 5 times and played it hehe. So a lot of it was just him playing a rhythm thing except the turnaround. It also has a dobro/banjo type sound that I really like..

Cool thing was almost all of it was one take stuff so there are glitches on just about everything, but like I said just a demo.. ;-)

Thanks all for comments,

Cody Young,

YMG Studio

Excellent! You could pitch this song to anybody, but I'd try George Strait or Tim McGraw. I expect to hear this at the C.M.A's real soon!

Bob

I'm having a hard time typeing

The chills are still running down my spine, I almost can't stand country (cept Garth), but you sound better than most of the country artists out there. Mind if I burn a copy for Mom, she listens to country and I think she'd love this song.

TX

P.S.

I just scrolled up and read more posts, Don't destroy it with steel guitar and such, it's beautiful as is, doesn't need anything. you'll just over HICK it and loose what it has, simplicity.

TX

Wow thanks Torpid-x

You have my permission to burn away ;-) let me know what she says.

I kinda like the version I have, the vocals do leave just a tad to be desired, much worse than my normal. Its just hard to engineer and sing well ;-)

Again thank you for the positive comments everyone, feels good to be back..

Cody Young

YMG Studio

"All the power of digital with all the warmth of, , well , , digital"

I agree with Torpid-x, the "simplicity" of this track makes it. First time I d/l any of your stuff, man you got a great sound going on. Great stuff Cody!

nice stuff shakes. I probably drove past your place last weekend, when I was coming from Broadway Music (they just had junk) enroute to Corner Music, and I cut thru Music row. I live up on KY lake, btw.....so next time I am down, I'll bring some pics for you to hang on your wall in your control room (see my post in studio building..ha!).
Anway, nice clean, uncluttered sounds. vocal just a little "iff" every now and then, but the rest shines. Would make an excellent demo to pitch....so therefore, I think you have reached your goal in spades.

Great performance. ;)

Touching. Got me all moody, now. I guess that means its a good tune, eh? I don't think its really missing anything. I hear some some light drums- kick and rim, perhaps, a few tom accents, cymbals. The song certainly lives without them. I'd have to hear a version with the Steel before passing judgement on that, but right now I think that it might be too much.

Its a really clean recording, too. I can hear everything fine.

Nice work.

-Chris

Back