Very sadened by this...

JPXTom

just for fun, i mic'd up my line 6 spider III 15 W with my MXL 990...while also having my line 6 spider II HD150 through a park G412A cab mic'd with a shure sm57/sm58....im sad to say that it turned out the like 15 watt sounded better mic'd up than the half stack!!

Anyone else experience these odd situations..where the cheaper stuff turns out to sound better than the (more) expensive stuff?

There could have been so many factors involved in why you liked the small one better. Did you try switching the mics around, with the 990 on the 4x12?

Don't be bummed. That's why you've got 2 amps, one for recording, one for live. Enjoy them for what they do best.

There could have been so many factors involved in why you liked the small one better. Did you try switching the mics around, with the 990 on the 4x12?

Don't be bummed. That's why you've got 2 amps, one for recording, one for live. Enjoy them for what they do best.

well actually when i took away the 58 off the cab..and just left the 57 it had a much more "realistic" sound than the little amp...but i was still shocked how nice the little one sounded

"Little" amps have been used in studios for decades because of how good they sound. The old tweed Champs and Princetons have been used on countless records for their "big" sound. :)

"Little" amps have been used in studios for decades because of how good they sound. The old tweed Champs and Princetons have been used on countless records for their "big" sound. :)

Yep, word is that Jimmy Page recorded the first Led Zep album on a small-wattage Supro combo amp. You can get mighty big sounds out of mighty small amps. :)

Don't fret, this happens all the time on every level. Pay no attention to how much something costs or is "supposed" to sound. Record whatever combination that sounds best, period. Some other song on some different day will probably sound better thru your 4x12.

You might also try the 57 on the little combo.

Yeper! I know what you are talking about. I spent tons of time working on my "Perfect Guitar Sound" live. And after taking my whole rig into the studio to record, we found that a simple solid-state marshall with 12 inch speaker recorded the best. It was sad. I felt like I cheated on my main rig.

It happens all of the time. :) It is funny that my crap drum set seems to record better than some nicer sets too.

Tube amps sound best when you overdrive the power section. Little amps are much easier to do this with and still not go deaf - or suffer from room acoustics as badly.

Gonna go this weekend with my cello player wanna come?

Dude you need to come to one of the shows soon, got some great new talent to work with now!

Back