Very obscure question

boogle

I am trying to figure out how to convert a hexadecimal color to its relative frequency, aka if your hex number is 591700 what is the frequency of that color. Does anyone have any possible ideas where to find this/how to compute this.

Thanks.

boogle said:
I am trying to figure out how to convert a hexadecimal color to its relative frequency, aka if your hex number is 591700 what is the frequency of that color. Does anyone have any possible ideas where to find this/how to compute this.

Thanks.
Can't be done, it doesn't have a specific wavelength.

boogle said:

There are two reasons that this can't be realistically done:

1. A single perceived color can be generated either by a single pure frequency or by a combination of any arbitrary number of frequencies.

However, even if you only care what the pure frequency would be, there's still another problem:

2. The actual color represented by a color number depends on the device doing the capture or output. Different cameras will generate drastically diferent values for the same color. Similarly, different monitors will produce dramatically different colors for the same values.

However, if everything is calibrated perfectly:

http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?ColorCalcHelp.html

Once you have a color temperature in Kelvin, you can calculate the pure frequency that corresponds to that color temperature:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien's_displacement_law

Of course, in the real world, such calculations will likely have very little basis in reality, IMHO. :)

boogle said:

Thanks.

7 .

wheelema said:
Can't I just help you build a suitcase nuke?

Indeed, that is a much easier problem, relatively speaking, than what is being asked. At least the design of a suitcase nuke is a technically solvable problem---a trivial problem, even, given our planet's level of technological advancement.

I seem to recall a study in which a team of a handful of senior physics majors somewhere were asked to design a nuclear weapon and did so successfully in well under a year. Of course, they didn't actually have to build it, but the point was that designing such a device is relatively easy. Getting enough fissionable material to actually build one is relatively hard... or at least we all hope it is.

I watched a documentary about a guy who built a nuclear reactor in his garden shed. He gained the materials and knowledge merely by posing as professors, scientists, and research students.. Eventually the amount of barrels of toxic waste building up in his garden started to concern the neighbours, and he got busted. But he started out with little clue of how to build it or get the materials. It was just a the result of a few good blags.

You need to know the wavelength of the colors represented by the hexidecimal numbers you're referring to. The rest is just algebra.

Wavelength = Speed of light in vacuum / Frequency.

The speed of light is the velocity of electromagnetic wave in vacuum, which is 300,000 km/sec.

Here's approximate wavelength (in vacuum) and frequency ranges for the various colors

Color Wavelength (nm) Frequency (THz)

Red..........780 - 622..........384 - 482
Orange......622 - 597..........482 - 503
Yellow.......597 - 577..........503 - 520
Green........577 - 492..........520 - 610
Blue..........492 - 455..........610 - 659
Violet........455 - 390..........659 - 769

1 terahertz (THz) = 103 GHz = 106 MHz = 1012 Hz,

1 nm = 10-3 um = 10-6 mm = 10-9 m.

Back