very little gain on MR8HD

sathyan

Using MXL 990 (LDC) into XLR on Fostex MR8HD. Switch set to MIC/LINE. Phantom power is on. To get any sound registering I have to turn up the gain, channel fader and master fader almost all the way - and still it is rather faint. Is there just very little gain or do I have a problem with the Fostex? Is the XLR input really a line-in to be used with a Mic Preamp (e.g. DMP3)?

it would be better if you can find a mixer to put in front of it. I use my peavey 24 channel in front of my mr-8HD. The preamps usually do suck on the fostex. Try to turn up the gain on the mixer and turn it all the way down on the HD. See if that helps ya out.

Fostex MR-8, MR-8HD, notorious for having bad pre amps. You need one to work effectively with this thing. I have the original MR-8, and had to buy a mixer to use specifically as a pre amp for this thing.

Thanks for the replies. Now what to do...

I have a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer it has 4 XLR in but only 2 TRS out (having only 2 simultaneous channels is not really a problem for me). The main problem with using it is that the phantom power is broken. I suppose I could get phantom power supplies.
I have a Behringer MIC100 tube preamp but its too noisy to be usable and only one channel (I need stereo)
I've also noticed the Fostex doesn't do EQ. So what I would need ideally is 2-4 channels of rather clean mic pre with phantom power and equalization performed in the analogue domain.
To minimize the number of units (one of the advantages of the Fostex is its portability) it needs to be a mixer - what's decent around $100 ?

Thanks for the replies. Now what to do...

I have a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer it has 4 XLR in but only 2 TRS out (having only 2 simultaneous channels is not really a problem for me). The main problem with using it is that the phantom power is broken. I suppose I could get phantom power supplies.
I have a Behringer MIC100 tube preamp but its too noisy to be usable and only one channel (I need stereo)
I've also noticed the Fostex doesn't do EQ. So what I would need ideally is 2-4 channels of rather clean mic pre with phantom power and equalization performed in the analogue domain.
To minimize the number of units (one of the advantages of the Fostex is its portability) it needs to be a mixer - what's decent around $100 ?
I got my Yamaha MG10/2 for about $90. I did a search of Musician's Friend and found a few different choices for $50-$100:

Musician's Friend

BTW, the 990 is an SDC and , if you are using it for any type of distance miking, expect a weak signal.

Also, the outputs on a DMP3 are TRS, not XLR.

If you really need the gain, go with the DMP3.

Paj
8^)

Back