VERY Basic Question

DCMaguire

Hi -

I'm finally entering the digital age (being dragged kicking and screaming into the 90's), and have a few very basic questions.

While the recording software that I am looking at all have multiple tracks (right now I'm thinking of getting Cakewalk's Home Studio XL), all of the soundcards I see have one stereo in/out. So, how do I access and record on multiple tracks at the same time when there's only one set of inputs? I'm obviously missing somthing here.

Another question: I realize that PCI is higher bandwidth than USB, but what is the real world limitation to USB? At what point will I be limited by USB?

Thanks for your answers.

DCMaguire

You're not missing anything! :)

For multitrack recording, there exists soundcards with multiple inputs. Brands like Delta, MOTU, Digi, and many others have multiple inputs. It's just that the cards that come with the average Mac or PC are really designed to play game sounds and the like and not really designed for audio recording (though it most certainly can be done, one or two tracks at a time).

Can't help ya with the USB question. Somebody else here will have the dope on that for sure.

Welcome to the site! :)

I don;t have any numbers on bandwidth but I know that almost all the USB audio interfaces can only handle two audio inputs, maybe four max (Tascam?).

another downside on the external USB audio devices is the high latency.
Good internal audio cards have ~2ms latency, USB devices usually have > 30 ms :(

this don't minds if u'r only recording OR play back at the same time, but if you are layering your records (recording a new track while you play back the other tracks) this 30 ms x 2 (30ms latency in and out!) really can make recordings difficult

The latency you mention is only an issue if you are trying to monitor what you are recording at the end of the chain (after it's laid down on disk), or monitor the output of effects plug-ins, or play DXi or VSTi in real-time. For this to be successful, you need very low-latency drivers. It's better to monitor the input (many audio interfaces have headphone or monitor outputs for this purpose -- this feature is often, somewhat misleadingly, called "zero-latency monitoring").

DCMaguire said:
While the recording software that I am looking at all have multiple tracks (right now I'm thinking of getting Cakewalk's Home Studio XL), all of the soundcards I see have one stereo in/out. So, how do I access and record on multiple tracks at the same time when there's only one set of inputs? I'm obviously missing somthing here...
...for the card, I suggest get Delta 1010. It has multi I/O audio. Stay away from USB. Cakewalk Home Studio can only access one stereo input and output at a time. If you want multichannels recording, get SONAR...

USB

I'm almost certain that USB can only record two seperate tracks at once. It's main advantage, portablility. But if this isn't absolutly important to you then and internal PCI sound card is the best (and least expensive) solution.

Thanks for all of your replies, folks. I think I have a handle on it now.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want the capability to do multiple inputs -- If I do, I'm thinking of a Delta 44 or 66. If not, then probably the Audiophile.

Any opinions on the Echo Mia?

Thanks again. What a great Forum!

DCM

Back