Versatile Guitar

AcousticBob

I recently joined a cover band, mainly 80's and new rock/pop/dance type
music. I looking to get a new guitar that is versatile in sounds, perhaps with both humbuckers and a single coil pickup. My budget tops at around $1500.00.
I've been eyeing up the Ibanez Jem and Rg series, but havent yet played them.
Any other guitars you can recommend I add to the "to play" list?

Thanks!

Strats are usually at the top of my "most versatile" guitars. I imagine you'll be using a lot of effects as well because you'll need a lot of different tones. I really like the deluxe series with stacked hums. Its a different sound from your standard strat.

I'm not a huge ibanez fan, but play one, they might be for you!

Rory

While I'm not a fan of Line 6, (especially when it comes to recording) they have the Variax guitars out now that are very good for what you are trying to achieve. They sound pretty cool for live application. Lots of different tones.

believe it or not, i picked up an Ibanez Artcore Hollowbody for $200 used about a year ago, and it covers a number of bases for me. about the only sound it can't do is the strat/tele sound (mainly b/c it's hollowbody and has humbuckers).

but it'll go from clean jazz to screaming metal and handle just about everything inbetween. i just continue to be constantly amazed at this little guitar. and the fretboard FLIES.

to be honest, i'd pick up something like that and a used US strat and you've got just about all the bases covered between those two guitars.

just understand that you're never going to get a Les Paul to sound like a Tele (and vice versa).

but for an 80's cover band......you *could* prolly be fine with just a strat with a humbucker at the bridge (the HSS config).

cheers,
wade

Bob, I haven't used the Variax, but I'd probably give it a test drive after all I've read. Still, when I think of the many guitars I've owned and recorded and performed with during the past 30 years, I can easily state that a thin-body, semi-acoustic model (like the Gibson 335) is the most versatile. If you really mean "versatile," then such a guitar really covers the bases. There's always some compromise, of course, since a guitar that does everything fairly well won't do any one thing perfectly.

I've used a Les Paul, Rick, Strat, Gibson ES-175 (jazz) and others, but my 1958 Guild Starfire IV (similar to the Gibson 335) is still my go-to guitar if I have to choose just one when recording or performing a variety of styles. With the right strings and settings, this thing can howl with fury or soothe with clarity and warmth. Most companies make a version or two this guitar, some more geared toward rock and some more toward jazz or blues. I'd certainly audition a few of these if I wanted versatility, above all.

Good luck,
J.

With that budget, I'd go with a Carvin CT6 - mahogony body with a maple top - choose your own options. It comes stock with split coil humbuckers and electronics to switch between single coil and 'bucker tones. I've been fighting CT6 GAS for about a year now... its still nudging me. :D

i think nashville telecasters are fairly versatile, but maybe not as much as you need. If you are looking for totally different sounds, line 6 variax may be your best bet...

edit: especially if you get the power nashville tele with the fishman bridge piezo

mrface2112 said:
but for an 80's cover band......you *could* prolly be fine with just a strat with a humbucker at the bridge (the HSS config).

That's a big ten-four. Any guitar with only humbuckers, even if the coils can be split, can't seem to get that delicate rhythm sound the way strat single coils do. The 'bucker gets you the crunch you need.

Back in the 80s i had a strat copy with a duncan invader tapped and split and it could mimmick everything except for Freddie Greene chunk chunk chunk jazz. The guitar sucked though because it had a floyd rose. Floyds never worked for me because they sucked up alot of tone and sustain. Or maybe that strat copy was crap. I used it for alot of years, though.

The Musicman Sillouette Special is one of the most versatile guitars there is. Very wonderful to play in addition to wonderful sound. The newer ones also have a transducer to get "acoustic" tones.

Back